Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

"Mommy! Watch this!"

Gemma screams, running into the kitchen with a blanket tied around her as a makeshift cape.

A small smile creeped onto my face and I shook my head at her, "What are you doing honey?" I questioned, making my coffee.

Her eyes were alight and a wide smile broke out onto her face, "I'm a super hero! Just like you mommy!" She exclaimed, running straight towards me.

I open my arms out wide and she jumps into my arms, wrapping her small arms around my neck, "Gemma baby, you don't need a cape to be a super hero. You're my super hero." I say, kissing her cheek.

The front door opens and Derek walks in, "What's going on?" He questioned, dropping his bag to the floor.

"I'm a super hero Daddy! I fight the bad guys like mommy!" Gemma shouted, jumping to the ground.

She runs to Derek and he picks her up in his arms, spinning her around, causing her to giggle out loudly, the sound like music to my ears.

________________________________

I shoot up in my bed, dragging a hand down my face while panting out deeply, my head pounding. Glancing over at my clock I realize it was only midnight.

Cursing out I slip out of bed and pull on some sweatpants, heading towards my makeshift office.

I needed to distract myself, clear my head from all the memories. They seemed to be fading away every day.

I no longer remember what it felt like holding Derek's hand in mine, or how it felt when he kissed me. I missed him deeply, everything about him.

The way he held me when I was upset, I missed seeing him with Gemma. She sure was a daddy's girl. He was the perfect father to her, the perfect man for me.

And my sweet baby, she deserved the world and more. She had so much to live for, she was going to change the world but now she could never do that.

Tears slipped down my face, a small sob escaping me when I drop down to my chair, glancing over the files lied out on my desk. Clive hasn't been seen since that night, he went into hiding.

But I never stopped searching, because one day I'd find him and put a bullet in his head for taking the only people I loved, the only family I had. I'd kill him for taking my love away.

I grabbed my phone, dialing her number while waiting impatiently for her to pick up, it rang a few times before she answered, groaning out, "Do you have any idea what time it is?" She questioned softly, I could hear the sleep in her voice and grinned slightly.

"I need to talk to you in the morning, its important," I state, she sighed out and I could only imagine her shaking her head at me right now.

"Ill see you around 8ish, I'll message you in the morning." She grumbled.

I snort out, "Sleep well, Mack." I whisper before hanging up. I throw my phone down and start looking through all the case files, hoping I could find something.