Chapter 2: Going solo

Start from the beginning

The Hokage sighs. "Kitsune, you are still under orders to keep them unharmed. I am not disbanding this group yet." Tsk, party pooper, just wanted to scare him shitless. I immediately step down, putting my sword away. I hear a nervous but amused laugh from Inu. Almost a giggle. What's with him, he should be scared too, he's creepy. Whahahaha, what's this? Somebody creeps YOU out? That's a first. Shut it, Kurama. "What jutsu did you find, Kitsune?"

"A really incomplete and badly put together summoning scroll. But the needed basics are there. I've been working on it last night and I know I can make this work if you let me keep the scroll, Hokage-sama." I say in a monotone voice. I deliberately leave out any details. Please, it'll take my mind off of things while I'm not on missions.

"Fine, you can work on it during the downtime of your next mission. Kitsune, please seal this room so we can discuss the next mission between us four."

Without moving, I activate one of the seals on my body. "Done, Hokage-sama". What the fuck is this about? He never makes me seal the room. Maybe he needs you to know you're in control. That makes is sound even worst, damn it, now I'm nervous.

"Do you have any friends your age, Kitsune?"

"No, I do not." Damn it, this is gonna be bad...

The Hokage looks at me and seems tense. Great, now I'm freaking out. "I thought so. Two week ago, you turned 11. In a year you will be 12. At that age, I can no longer keep your identity from the council. Since everything you have done will remain classified, you will have to start again to build an official reputation." Wait, what? "Therefore, before you can officially regain your rank as an ANBU captain, you will need to go to the academy for at least one year to become a genin. After that, you will need to take the Chuunin exam. Once the rank of Chuunin, we can reinstate you to your current ANBU rank."

My eyes widen, my actual eyes. Luckily, behind the mask, no one seems to notice. Fuck, this can't be happening. I notice my presence has become extremely cold and try to reel it in, but I don't succeed.

"A year? No, I refuse." My voice sounds cold and consistent. A fucking year without killing? Hell no, I'll snap. I want, no scratch that, I NEED to kill at least once a week. I must still be giving off killing intent, because Inu and Kuma step back from me.

"Now, don't be like that, Kitsune. Kuma and Inu will keep watch on you 24/7." Like that makes it any better! My hands tremble and I ball then into fists to try and keep control. I feel Inu looking at my hands. Kurama! I feel ya, Kit. I got ya. If he tells them who I really am, I'll lose everything I've build up. All the safety... Kurama's tails wrap around me comfortingly, but it does little to calm me down. I can feel my heart in my throat.

"I can't. I need to..." Kill... My voice now ever so slightly cracked. I shoot a look at Inu and then back to the Hokage. Inu is way to good at reading my feelings. Inu looks surprised at the slight sign of emotion in my voice, the Hokage worried.

"Kitsune, unless you want to loose your rank within the ANBU you have no choice. This is the only way to solve this and have you back with us. Now, take your mask off and introduce yourself." I begin to take a step back, but catch myself before I complete it. My knees feel weak. I look from the Hokage to Inu to Kuma and feel tears in my eyes. Kit, this might not be so bad. Inu seems trustworthy enough, and Kuma obedient enough. Maybe just trusting them a little will do you good. Inu, maybe, but not Kuma. Then tell Jiji that. He'll honour your request.