Gerry

I am ten minutes early when I enter an outer door to Gerry's office. His voice comes from hidden speakers, "Please come in and join me, Tammy."

His office is as I remember it. Some squares on his walls flash and informational squares continue to change with automated updates. I sit in a large plush chair just off to one side of his desk. This is intentional. He has a direct line of sight to his guest. He finishes reading something on a screen, types a couple words, and turns toward me.

With a smile, he says, "Thank you, I needed to answer that. I promise I won't tell Clair you can find your way on your own. She's hoping to keep this assignment until you decide to leave or stay. I asked you here for three reasons, first to apologize. I'm as much to blame as our citizens for what you uncovered. I should've caught it. I'll leave it at that, no excuses."

"Accepted, I suspect you now have safeguards in place to prevent it from happening again?"

He nods. "My second reason is to ask you to make a public appearance. Tonight, as we do every week, is an awards night. Once a week we hand out awards to deserving citizens and rescuers. You weren't awake to see last week's awards ceremony.

"Tonight will be our largest awards ceremony ever. We've never had a week like this one. You were a trigger for most awards tonight. I'm asking you to please attend."

"I will come. I will not demean a person's act of valor or honor done in a cause I started by not being there."

"Lastly, this is a medical check. I'll take you for a walk and explain what I've done. Why you're still here and will be for a few more days. I would prefer if you consider me as a person who has answers for you. I'm not a doctor or fiendish Frankenstein. I happened to discover some very good technologies."

"Gerry, I feel great. I saw that shattered pulp you pulled out of a school basement. I admit I do not understand. I am still not completely convinced I am not in a coma dreaming this. That aside, I am a 'take things as they happen' person, good and bad. I have been busy since I got here and do not dwell on it. Physically, I feel perfect. I notice I bleed like a normal person. None of my memories, feelings, and passions changed. You healed my body but did not touch my mind or soul. Is that a correct assumption?"

"Yes, you've pretty much summed up my process. You've heard of three dimensional printers. Most use plastic to make three dimensional objects. I've technologies that do it at molecular levels. I've figured out how to use them to replace human and animal tissue.

"In your case, a DNA strand can give me a physical picture of your entire life. From embryo to how you'll be at a hundred and ten. This of course means no outside influences like injuries, toxins, or immunizations. We match DNA strands with your current physical condition. Before I proceed, we check for problems like brain damage. In your case, I found no indications of issues. Using existing tissue in sequence with molecular level reconstruction, we rebuilt your body's health to what it should've been at your age.

"Kathy's the only person who has had a level of reconstruction you have. I've done many minor reconstructions. I'm constantly running experiments to refine or speed up reconstructions. I won't attempt to repair brain tissue. I will not cross that line. There's a reason I'm holding you here and want to do a checkup. I would, with your permission, like to watch you for another week to ensure you don't encounter any physical issues."

"Do I understand? You kept me alive, brought me here, and did a DNA sampling? You literally rebuilt my shattered pulp to what I should be at my age?"

"Yes. That's why you no longer have your war injuries, a torn cartilage in your knee, and any scars. I repaired other small defects, like your chipped eye socket. You're not a bionic woman or a cyborg. That's real flesh, nerves, blood vessels, bone, and muscle. If you go to specialists in your previous world, they'd find nothing out of the ordinary."