An Award's Value

Kathy looks at me, "Everything here is free. We have no money. Rewards become simple pieces of paper and medals. Some rescuers do acts of conspicuous bravery. Others contribute like Orenda, she has many behind the scenes awards. Many more people by innovation, inspiration, and ingenuity. A measure of a person's accomplishments and our acknowledgement for contributions to their effort become treasured medals and awards.

Kathy turns to Orenda, "Ladies, General Orenda's won a pack of instant medals. She has at least five gold, five silver, and a bunch of bronze medals with a filing cabinet of commendations."

Orenda replies, "Kathy's won ten instantaneous gold medals. She has a dozen silver medals and a truck full of paper. She was busted in rank twice." Our girls look stunned. "She's been brought before a tribunal at least three times I'm aware of."

Kathy, feigning hurt replies, "I never decked a superior officer like you did. One hit and poof he's out like a light. She did it during a rescue, no less." Girls appear in shock.

Orenda counters, "Look out, girls, she's really a bad one. Just read her incident reports. Why do you think they say 'don't mess with Shortcake'? She's always breaking rules. Look at today, a tribunal for sure." A smile creeps across her face. "Bringing an outsider to watch then letting her run amok during a training simulation." Our girls look confused.

After a moment of silence I comment, "I already know both of you well enough." Three confused looking girls turn to me. "I know you had reasons for those breaches in conduct. I suspect you will find records where they found grounds to vindicate their actions and most likely changed the way rescuers do things. Ladies, in my experience they do not give many medals to undeserving lucky fools."

Kathy smiles while Orenda turns to me, "Well said Tammy. Perhaps you two will understand that you've contributed a special service for all rescuers today."

These two are good. I look over to Kathy, who has a sly grin on her face. Tiana and Katie's expressions are sudden understanding. Clair looks dazed.

Kathy turns to Clair, "You did something that's never been done. That house fell forty six times. You're not an engineer. You trained as an aider. You get victims out of harm's way and safely to treatment. You follow engineers. You don't make sure it's safe for rescuers. In a situation like a disaster, that's a medal performance for an engineer. They train to do that. That's what we call excellence. Wear your gold medal with pride Clair. You earned it."

Orenda comments, "Clair, how can you possibly argue with Shortcake? If anyone knows what's deserving of a gold medal, she does." Clair's eyes brim with tears but I can still see confusion.

I nod, "I am not from here. I don't know what individual rescuers do. What I saw today is unbelievable. I saw three rescuers go into a leaning building. They come out with five victims. What happens if the building collapses while you're in it? Rescuers redirect resources to save you and your victims. They will not be rescuing other victims. Your group received a unit commendation for a second fastest time ever and a fastest time for trainees. Clair, every one of those rescuers is getting their commendation because of what you did. You saved all of them a lot of time."

She understood. You can see it in her face and her body language changes. After a moment through tears she stammers, "You must be an incredible teacher, Tammy."

I reply, "I teach grades three and four, not women. I am not a teacher here. I am your friend."

Kathy nods to Orenda. Orenda turns and stares at me while shaking her head. After a couple of moments, Orenda asks, "So tell me about these new rescue suits. What are the helmet graphics like?" Girls start talking about things I do not understand. Conversation drifts in several directions.