Our Medals

Clair blushes, "I think that's my fault. People keep staring at me."

Kathy reaches over and puts her hand on top of Clair's. "It's not your fault. A gold medal winner always attracts respect and awe. I still attract stares after being retired for years. They saw me come in with a strange woman wearing medals. They watch Katie and Tiana simply because of their grandparents. That teenage display of jumping up and down in congratulations for you didn't help. I explained to Tammy, a gold medal makes you a very special person. Clair, like it or not, your winning a gold medal, especially at your age makes you a celebrity."

Clair looks confused. "I don't understand. You're a legend here. I'm just a trainee aider. I'm not something special."

After a moment of silence, Kathy asks, "Clair, you went to a lot of trouble to find Tammy. You should be out celebrating. Did you want to say something to her?"

Clair turns to me, "I wanted to tell you that I've never been more moved by what you did and said today."

I see a confused, scared teenage girl, looking for a mentor or friend. "Clair, I am the one who was inspired. I never saw anything like what I witnessed today. Like you, I do not understand what I did that is so special."

Kathy smiles, "Clair, if you're confused, can you imagine how Tammy feels? Less than twelve hours ago, Katie walked her out of ECCU. Her world turned upside down a couple of times today. Suddenly, she's a record breaking celebrity in a world she doesn't understand."

A commotion sounds beyond our curtain. Orenda appears pushing a cart with two cakes. As soon as she clears our curtain, she pulls it completely closed behind her.

Orenda turns to us. "I'm sorry, ladies, be prepared for a demonstration when you leave." She looks at Kathy. "One of the adjudicators and his family came in to eat. Rick, fascinated by Tammy's two medals, went to ask what happened this afternoon. His timing couldn't be worse. As I escorted Clair to meet you, we walked passed them. Word spread like wildfire.

"Everyone knows there are a couple of record breaking gold medal winners in this booth with the legendary Shortcake. There's no longer any point in trying to hide you're here. I hope you don't mind. I've made these to celebrate both of you." She moves two sculpted cakes onto our table.

In icing on top of the cake is a gold medal attached to a ribbon. Under it reads 'Clair'. A second cake is similar, but with two gold medals and labeled 'Tammy'.

I comment, "They are almost too beautiful to eat. Thank you, Orenda."

Clair's pale white skin turns deep red, her eyes bubble happiness. Clair bear hugs Orenda. Tears stream from her eyes.

Kathy comments, "Get a camera, Orenda. Clair needs a permanent record of this."

Orenda slides our curtain open and a hush blankets her large dining room. Everyone appears to turn and stare. A moment later a man with what looks like a small flat tablet appears. Over a few minutes, I find myself posing alone, with Clair, and as a group for pictures. Her dining room is very quiet. Guests sneak peeks at us. Our photographer disappears and curtains are drawn. I ask, "Are our cakes alike?"

Orenda replies, "Yes, they're both black forest cakes."

I nod, "Do not spoil both of them. We will each have a piece of mine. Clair, take your cake home with you and share it with your friends and family."

Clair snaps at me, "That's not fair!"

I reply, "Yes it is. All my friends are in this booth. Orenda, that includes you. Please join us."

Clair appears stunned. Katie grins, "Tammy, Orenda never..."

Orenda put her hand in air, palm toward Katie. "Why do you consider me a friend?"

I smile at her. "As soon as you met me, you were gracious. You fed us the finest meal I ever tasted. You do extraordinary things. You protect us and go out of your way to make this an enjoyable experience. Finally, you introduce me to a new friend, who, much like me is feeling at odds with what happened to her. You help her with acts of kindness. I would be foolish not to consider you a friend."

Grinning from ear to ear, she replies, "I'd be honoured to join you. Not many are as quick as you to appreciate others. If no one objects, I'd consider it a pleasure. I'll return momentarily." A second later, she is gone.

Katie looks at me, "Orenda's rule is she never dines with patrons. I've never seen her do it before."

Kathy has a huge grin on her face, "Enjoy the company, ladies. 'First time ever' happened a few times today."