Day Five

I wake as a warm sun pokes out from behind a cloud. I have a girl on each side. They sleep with their feet against an arm of my swing and their heads on my shoulders. I look to my left where Kathy is sipping tea. She nods from a chair on her balcony. I hear a noise and look right. Our balconies have a new section stretching four wide. Madge is fiddling with flowers. Kathy sneaks over quietly. She picks up a blanket that fell at our feet. She slips back toward her suite.

Jess opens her eyes and basks in warm sunlight for a moment. She bolts upright in confusion. Clair wakes a half moment later. Jess looks at me with anxiety, "Tammy, I'm so sorry. I must've fallen asleep."

"Friends comforting friends, that is what friends do and what we are for. No need to apologize."

Kathy arrives with a tray of steaming mugs. "Jess, you've a change of clothes at Clair's. There's no executive meeting today. You're on your own for a while. I'm sitting in to oversee some training issues with Orenda, Sharon and her parents. Tammy if you're going out today Gerry asks you to wear a dress uniform." Madge walks toward us.

"Clair, I think we have a new neighbour."

Clair looks up at Madge with a smile, "Cool, have you joined us? Are you my new neighbour?"

Madge replies, "I'm not sure yet. I'm getting very old to have such a big place to take care of. These are the best people I've had the privilege of meeting. I know they'll take care of me. However, that's a big suite for an old woman and I'm tired of being alone. Jess, will you share that suite with me? You can help this old lady. I'd consider it an honour. Please."

Jess' eyes water. She is stunned. A moment later, she stutters, "Really? You want me to move in with you?"

Madge nods. Jess almost knocks Madge off her feet. Her arms wrap around Madge and she is sobbing. She tries to say something, but nothing is getting past her gulps for air. Madge has her arms wrapped tight around Jess and keeps saying, "Easy now, it's okay, easy."

A half hour later, we are having breakfast together. Kathy reports, "Jess, you've been requested at the former Orphan Directory building at ten. Our Rescuer Angels are moving. Our executive offices are still in our hallway. All our angels divisions moved to locations closer to where needed. Personnel are at the former Orphan Housing Office. A Troubled Youth Building is a counseling center. Tammy, what are your plans?"

"I think we are going to start visiting Rescuer Angels' locations to make sure they are functioning. We will check to see if they need any resources. My name is on our door as a chief executive officer. I want to make sure they can do their job. We need to make sure they are doing their jobs."

Madge has a huge grin on her face. "See, ladies, that's how you make sure things don't take a wrong turn and become overlooked. Jess, I've few things to do this morning. We'll meet at our new suite at one and we can set it up together."

"That'd be great, Madge. Can I go with you, Tammy?"

"Absolutely, we will make sure we are at the directory at ten."

Clair asks, "Where to first, Tammy?"

"Personnel are the heart of our organization. We need to make sure they are up to task, have everything they need or want and are doing what needs to be done."

Twenty minutes later, we step out my door to a completely changed hallway. A new wall is opposite my suite. A closed double door is center of that wall, opposite our suites. Above those doors it reads, 'Rescuer Angels Executive Offices'. On each side is a nameplate and map of whose offices they are. To my left it reads, 'Rescuer Resources: Orenda Chief Operating Officer' under are Abe and Sherri's names. The right side is ours from yesterday. A sign on the center doors read, 'Please enter to make an appointment'.

Intrigued, I open the door to find a reception desk fifteen yards back. Ann and Azadah sit behind it. Azadah smiles "Good morning. General Tammy you make me so proud when I see you stop those men."

Ann says, "Please hold. Good morning sirs, welcome to Executive Reception."

Azadah points, "I write appointment and Ann does phone. Ann and family are new neighbours. I have house to myself, beside Ann."

I grin, "I see we are in the best of hands." Comfortable looking chairs line the walls. Our original office is to the right and behind their reception desk. The office that was behind ours is on the left. Immediately behind them on both sides are office doors. Centered in back behind our offices is a new office. A sign reads, 'Media Relations: Madge'. Opposite a double door, another sign reads, 'Orphan Representative: Jess'.

I point, "Jess did you look at your new office yet?" Madge laughs as she follows a running Jess.

Azadah reports, "You have no appointment today. I will send message to make sure before I make one."

Ann nods, "Rescuer Resources have a meeting in fifteen minutes."

I explain we are off to make sure our Rescuer Angels have everything they need. I ask they not tell them we are coming. Ann can track our location. I ask them to call me if they hear of any issues. A beaming Jess rejoins us with Madge following her.

As we turn to leave, Kathy, Abe, Sherri, and Orenda come in. Following them are fifteen rescuer officers, colonels and majors in dress uniforms. Introductions follow with shaking hands.

One officer catches my eye. Colonel Devon has two and half rows of dots and octagons displayed on his shirt. We are about the same age. He might be a little older. He reminds me of an extremely fit soldier. He stands straight with shoulders back. He looks like a military recruiting poster model. He seems reserved. I notice he keeps glancing at me. As we are about to step out, our office door opens. Carol, Sharon, Tarin, Katie and Tiana wave then head for the meeting.