Angels Of Light

Tornado sirens are going off. Open your eyes. Ignore pain. Do not move. Children need you. Stay awake. It is dark. Talk to them. Stay calm and slow down your breathing. Yell to them.

"Everyone come to me. Follow my voice and come to me." Did I say anything? Did they hear me?

"Miss Richards, I'm scared." Emma Burr, grade three.

"Emma, yell to the others. Tell them to follow your voice, tell them to come to us."

Focus on your students, away from the pain. Emma is shouting. In darkness, I hear voices. Open your eyes do not pass out.

Light. Open your eyes. It is brighter, a moving white light. Inspire your students. Descending from the heavens like angelic lights. Angels?

"Follow the lights. Go to the angels."

It has shiny red skin. She has a human form. It looks like a head but no facial features. More lights, another one?

"Follow the lights. They will help you. Go to the angels of light."

I must be delirious. Open your eyes. The red woman picks up a ceiling beam and lifts it. No one can lift a concrete section that size. Are they robots? He pulls children out from under rubble while she holds reinforced concrete. It must be excessively heavy. She holds up a concrete floor slab with wood sticking out of it. Open your eyes, you must be dreaming or hallucinating.

"Go to the angels. Go to the lighted angels. Follow the lights."

Open your eyes. The red woman moves rubble out of her way while they move toward us. All the children except Emma are gone. Blackness is forming around the outside of my vision as bright shooting lines streak to the center. Pain is at a constant peak but a pounding in my ears slows. I am dying. Emma still holds my hand.

"Go Emma, angels will stay with me."

There is a white maple leaf with a beaver. She, it is talking to me. Brown eyes and black eyebrows is that a face behind glass?