Awards

Our original speaker booms, "Five minutes to vote and then an awards ceremony. Once that's complete, you're on your own. We'll inform you of your next scheduled training. Any requests for a personal assessment must be submitted before five today." A loud hum rises with rustling feet.

Kathy turns to me and takes both my hands in hers. "I've never been so proud to have a friend like you."

I look her in the eye. "I did not do that. I do not remember doing it."

Kathy turns her hands palm up so I can see. Red welts run across her fingers and palms. I run my fingers over them in disbelief. They are hot and swollen. I look up at her and whisper, "I am sorry. I did not realize."

She hugs me, "Don't apologize. That's one of the bravest things I've ever witnessed."

A few minutes later our speaker booms, "Votes are in and we've some of very unusual results. Pay close attention, all of you will want to remember this day. First an adjudicators' award, an honorable mention for what they titled the 'best battle fought' today. It goes to Shortcake, General Kathy." Laughs and applause ripple from everywhere. Kathy stands and they hand her a certificate.

"An adjudicator's instructor award goes to senior instructor Mark." A man in his late thirties accepts a cup.

"On an adjudicator's award review, they issue a bronze rescue medal for outstanding performance in a scenario. Congratulations to Genevieve."

A girl in her teens steps forward wearing a red rescue suit with a red cross centered in the white maple leaf. She glows. They place a ribbon with a bronze medal around her neck to cheers from a standing crowd.

"Please bear with us from here. This is a very historic run of the scenario. You'll tell your grandchildren about today. Normally certificates are issued and only one to a category. There are two names as recipients of a silver medal for dedication. Cadets Wong and Baba, please step forward to receive your silver dedication medals. They're our newly dubbed Flying Firefighters."

To thunderous applause, a young oriental man and a teenage black girl get silver medals hung around their necks.

"Here's where things take an even stranger turn. Adjudicators' award a person who they feel represents the true spirit of rescuers. They display the heart or soul of our rescuers. Cadet trainees also vote for an award. It goes to someone who our trainees feel is the most inspirational person. A gold medal happens only after unanimous secret votes. Amazingly, this occurs for both awards. Our only restriction on both awards is the recipient must be present.

"These two gold medal awards create a series of records. Never before did any of the following happen. We make history today with three gold medals awarded at a training scenario. Next, a single person wins two gold awards. No one ever won two gold medals on the same day. Lastly, these awards go to a person who is not a rescuer or an instructor. Our gold medal winner in both categories is Tammy."

It seems everything shakes with noise. Everyone is standing, screaming and clapping. I scan everywhere looking for Tammy. Kathy lifts me to my feet while tears stream down her beet red face. It slowly sinks in. They mean me!