25

I wake up to my alarm piercing the silence. I roll over and hit the snooze button on my phone screen causing the alarm to stop.

"Mama?" I hear Cal croak quietly.

I turn to see him looking up at me with the most beautiful blue eyes I've ever seen.

"Hey, baby. How did you sleep?" I ask softly, not wanting to wake Chris.

"Good," He giggles.

"Shhhh, we don't want to wake Chris up," I laugh quietly as I move the hair out of his face.

"But I want him to wake up.." he whispers, well tries to.

"Well, how about we go down and get you some breakfast then we can come back up here and wake him up?" I ask kissing his little nose.

"Okay."

"Good," I say as I slowly get out of bed and turn around to pick him up.

"Mama?" Cal asks as we reach the bottom of the stairs.

"Yeah?" I reply.

"You love Chris?" He asks with his eyes wide.

"Yes, Baby I love Chris, but not as much as I love you, okay?"

"Yeah, and he loves you?"

"Yes, baby" I answer while I sit him down at the small breakfast bar.

"No, does he like reallly love you?"

"What do you mean by that, baby?" I ask as I start to get out the stuff for breakfast.

"Like how a daddy is supposed to love a mummy." He says emphasising 'supposed'.

"I guess so.. but why do you ask?"

"Because.. you don't love my daddy." He says slightly upset.

"Oh baby, no no you listen to me, okay?" I reply quickly as I make my way to the side of his chair. "Your dad wasn't nice to me, okay? He did things to mama that I can't forgive him for, but I'm trying to accept the fact that he may be okay now. And I guess apart of me, deep down will always love him," I choke back tears.

"But what do you mean!! I don't understand!!" He yells, frustrated at the fact he doesn't get it.

"Shhh shh shh, baby it's okay, I don't expect you to understand" I say pulling him into a hug, "listen, okay? Your daddy hurt me, Cal. He did things to me that hurt me, very bad things, okay? That's why mama left him, okay?"

"Hurts you like that?" He cries as he lifts up my shirt to reveal the scars I try so hard to hide.

"Yeah, baby. He did that... that's why I didn't want you near him," a single tear falls down my cheek.

He reaches out his small hand and wipes away the tear, "I don't wanna stay with him," he says softly shaking his head.

"And I'm gonna do everything I can to make you stay here, okay? But for now.." I get up and clear my throat, "we gotta make breakfast," I laugh slightly, trying to brighten the mood.

"And wake up Chris!" He giggles.

"And wake up Chris," I smile back.