12

•A WEEK LATER•
"Are you sure you want to come with us?" I ask Chris one last time before getting in the car

"Yes I'm certain, you can stop asking. It's going to be okay. Now let's go, we don't want to be late"

And with that, I got Cal into his car seat and we drove to the coffee shop down the road. I tried to focus on the important things I was going to ask Blake but I couldn't because I had a million other things running around my mind.

"How long?" Cal asks as he looking up from playing with his superheroes.

"Not too long baby, but I need you to talk to him okay?" I ask looking back at him

"Mhmm" he responds and goes back to playing.

"Mel, it's gonna be okay." Chris says as he places a hand on my knee.

"Yeah, yeah I know I'm just, I don't know." I reply

"Well here we are" Chris says as he pulls into a car park.

"Okay I will be back soon, okay baby?" I ask

"Not too long" He says, clearly trying not to cry.

"Not to long" I respond with a smile and get out of the car.

As I walk into the small coffee shop I see him sitting at a table and the realisation of what's about to happen hits me. I slowly walk over and sit in front of him.

"Hey Mel" He says looking up form his phone.

"Hi" I respond quickly

"So where is he?"

"He is in the car, He has someone with him he isn't alone out there. I would never do that. Sorry I'm rambling I just don't know how to... how to deal with this situation."

"Yeah I get that, umm so can I meet him?"

"Oh umm yeah sure I'll text them to come inside"

I take out my phone and quickly text Chris saying that it's okay to bring Cal in. As we waited for them to come inside we just spoke about general things nothing that important, not long after Chris walks into the room with Cal holding his hand tightly. He sees us and starts to walk over.

"Mama" Cal says as Chris lifts him onto my lap

"Hello there" Blake says to Cal

Cal quickly turns around and buries his head in my neck starting to cry.

"Baby, it's okay remember?" I say as I rub his back.

He slowly turns to Blake and waves slightly, causing Blake to tear up.

"Do you know who I am?" Blake asks

"Yes." Cal says quietly

"Okay, so what's your name?" He asks Cal

"Calum but I get called Cal" he replies, regaining come confidence.

"Well I'm so happy I got to meet you, Cal. What kind of things do you like to do?" Blake asks.

"Play with superheroes."

"That's so cool, do you have a favourite?"

Cal looks back at me a Chris for a moment "Supergirl and Superman." He replies.

"Ahh, good choices."

They went back and forth like that for about an hour just talking about things Cal likes to do, his favourite colour that sort of thing. Once Blake had stopped asking questions we decided that it was time to take Cal home considering it was past his nap time.

"Well, we better get going. It's past Cal's nap time but maybe we could meet here again some time." I say to Blake as I pick up a very sleepy Cal and hand him to Chris.

"Yeah, yeah I would like that. Umm hey Mel can I talk to you alone for a second?" Blake asks just as I was about to start walking to the door.

"Uhh sure" I reply "I'll be right there" I say to Chris as he carries Cal to the car.

"So, I just wanted to apologise for everything I did in the past. Especially when you told me you were pregnant, I'm really sorry that I said those awful things. I'm so sorry about everything, every time I hurt you I- I really am and now that I am getting the help that I need I hope you can let me have a relationship with my son- with Cal." He says almost about to cry.

"Umm yeah well I'm glad you are getting help, but I'll think about you having a relationship with Cal. I just don't want him getting hurt and it being my fault because I trusted you. Anyway I really need to go, I'll let you know what he wants." I reply.

I head to the door and close it behind me, he apologised? After all these years he just shows up and apologises and wants to be in Cal's life? No apology can take back the things he put me through. I get in the car I see that Cal is fast asleep in his seat, making me smile.

"How was it?" Chris asks as I put on my seatbelt

"It was okay, I'll fill you in later. But for now, let's just go home."