Decisions

Pain.

Pain was all i felt when i woke up. Waking up wasnt the right way to describe it though. I woke up but my eyes wouldnt open. In a way it felt like a blessing that my eyes wouldnt open because i really didnt want to know what was causing all of the pain. It felt as if id been starved of blood for the past five centuries, staked and set on fire, all at the same time. My whole being burnt with a raging volcano flowing through my veins. Burning my insides and leaving the outside unscathed. I felt like i was in a coma, where i could feel it all but i was unable to move or to stop it. Only way out was to endure it.

"How is she doing?" A worried voice asked. It was Mutt.

"She fine. Take while to heal. Wake up now she is. Still pain she be." Came the short feminine response. Slowly my eyes allowed me to open them, blinking at the sudden light.

"Mellory!" A relieved voice shouted once my eyesight was clear. I looked over to see Mutt standing there with a grin on his face. I groan in pain because my throat was too dry and scratchy for me to respond. An unfamiliar lady held a glass of the magical red substance with a straw in it up to my mouth and i drank it greedily. Once my mouth was moist enough to speak, i turned to Mutt.

"What happened?" I croaked out.

He lookes at me with concern in his eyes.

"Do you not remember?" i shook my head slowly ,immideiately stopping because of how painful it was.

" Last thing i remember is trying to jump of the balcony and your guards restraining me."

Mutt looked at the red haired nurse, "Can you leave us for a moment or two?"

The nurse nodded" Call me if you need anything."

As the door shut,Mutt made himself comfortable in a chair next to my bed and clasped my small hand in his much big one. I wanted to yank my hand away but for some reason, i didnt. It just felt...right. After a moment of silence, Mutt explained everything that had happened. As he explained each event, they appear like distant memories in my head, filling the black hole that was in place of the time gap.

After Mutt was done filling me in, i was forced to give him some respect and gratitude. To not give up on me and not take advantage of me when i was clearly not myself must have taken some major restraint on his part.

"What day is it?" I asked suddenly. Mutt seemed surprised but my question, no doubt he was expecting some foul words or something along those lines.

"June 16th." was his response. That meant ive been away from my family for nearly a week. Wait a sec, doesnt that mean we had to mate within roughly nine days or we would both die? I lookes up to see him coming to the same train of thought.

"So...we have to mate in a little over a week?" I asked, disgust clear in my voice. Mutt nodded his head uncertainly.

He cleared his throat unconfortably." Thats not the worst part... You also have to be pregnant. The elders just came up with that rule recently so there could be an heir to the throne."All of the pain suddenly dissappears as i shot up.

" But it takes almost a week to tell if youre pregnant or not!" I exclaimed, appalled. Mutt ran his fingers through his hair as he shifted in his chair.

"Erm...yeah", was his clever response.

"So let me get this straight, we have to mate by tomorow night?" Mutt nodded his head solemnly.

"Fine." i stated, plopping back down on the bed. Mutt looked up in shock, his jaw hanging open like a dog he was.

"Youre going to mate and marry me?" He asked with such a hopeful look in his eyes, that i had to try and hide the grin creeping on to my face. I had no idea why he was affecting me like this, but i was pretty sure the feeling was only going to grow stronger after i mated with him.

"Slow down boy. I'm only mating with you because if I don't, I die. Marriage is still a ways off and even if I agree to marry you, it all depends on how you make me fall in love with you." Even as I uttered those words, his smile didn't falter, in fact it got so big I was surprised his face hadn't cracked yet. Even his wolf was slowly coming out to play.

"I will make you love me, my mate."