Khan

(A/N: @elliotsemicolon this one's for you! Sorry it took a literal BILLION years! ~SP)

Kirk stared through the fogged glass, his eyes heavy as he took painfully shallow breaths.

"Jim!" Spock's voice was panicked as he slammed his hands against the glass.

"H-hey, Spock." Jim said tiredly. It was taking almost all of his energy just to keep his eyes focused. "I don't think I'm gonna make it through this one." He said with a gentle laugh. He said 'this one' because they had experienced so many near death experiences together before, yet in none of them did they ever really think either of them would die. Sure, it was always a possibility, but not like this, never like this.

"Jim." His voice was so pained and Jim swore he could see tears in his eyes.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay." He pressed his hand to the glass. Spock pressed his hand to it as well, so it would be touching Kirk's if there hadn't been anything between them. "Spock, I want you to know why I saved you, I-"

"It's because you're my friend." Spock spoke through tear glazed eyes. Jim stared as him and realized this was the last time he would ever see him, the last time he would ever see anyone. He shook his head, tears stinging his eyes. He moved his mouth to form a silent 'no'.

"It's because I love you." He was breathing heavily between each word. He felt his eyes fluttering closed, he let the tears spill down his cheeks and he took, One. Short. Breath.

"Jim, I-" Spock cut himself off, knowing his statement would fall upon deaf ears. He watched Jim's hand slide down the glass and fall to land on his heart. He choked out a sob, while the tears streamed down down his cheeks. He took three deep breaths and let out an ungodly shriek. He was pounding on the glass as tears streamed down his face. He roared the name of the murderer with enough power to shred his vocal chords. That's when Jim lost consciousness.

*beep* *beep* *beep* Loud choking gasps filled the room.

"Fuck!" Jim sat straight up, sweating and coughing. His throat was dry and he was dizzy. He felt sick, like he was gonna hurl. He looked around frantically and saw a trash can by his bed. He grabbed it and began to violently vomit. He spat and wiped his mouth, shivering. "Bones?" He called out weakly. His voice broke as the name left his lips.

He heard the sound of someone coming down the hallway and then he heard them break into a sprint. "Christ kid!" McCoy was holding the side of his face, supporting his head. He was flashing a light in his eyes, his mouth, looking in his ears. He scanned him, checked his blood pressure, and then he pulled him close. He held him to his chest and kissed the top of his head. "Don't ever scare me like that again!"

"Hey Bones." Kirk whispered, only half conscious. "I'm na m'not feeling so hot." He said grabbing onto McCoy's shirt. McCoy backed up to get a good look at him.

"We're gonna get you back on your feet in no time." He said pulling him into another quick hug. "You really had me worried." He added quietly, almost to himself. "You have someone waiting to see you. He made me promise to let him in once you woke up. Snuck in a couple times while you were out, too." McCoy was looking at his tricorder as he spoke. "You want me to send him in, or do you wanna rest?"

"Send em in." Kirk's voice was weak. He cleared his throat and changed into a siting position. Just as the words left his lips the door opened.

"Dr. McCoy, you must inform me of the Captain's current condition!" Spock stormed into the room, Nurse Chapel on his heels.

"Christine, what did I say about keeping Spock at bay?" McCoy ignored him.

"I tried, Doctor, but I couldn't control him." She defended.

"Dr. McCoy I demand you update me on his progress!"  Spock was much closer to McCoy now.

"Take it easy, pal. You regularly scheduled programming is canceled." McCoy crossed his arms.

"You cannot deny me this-" Spock was getting impossibly closer and looking impossibly more threatening by the second.

"Because he's awake!" McCoy swung his arm in a motion towards the very confused Jim Kirk.

"Hiya Spock." It came out raspier than he had intended, but Spock was nothing short of ecstatic.

"Jim!" He ran to the bed and reached out to touch him, but stopped just short of a hug. It was like he wasn't sure if he was really there and he wasn't ready for the heartbreaking possibility that he wasn't. Jim closed the distance by pulling him into a hug. Spock hugged him tightly, making him cough and gasp for air. "My apologies, I-"

"Don't apologize, I missed you too." Jim pulled him back into a hug, just gentler this time.

"You died." Spock whispered, not letting him go.

"Crazy, right?" Kirk laughed, his eyes still closed. He heard the automatic doors open and close, signifying Chapel and McCoy's departure. "Thanks for coming to see me." He smiled. The hug slowly loosened so Spock was sitting in front of Jim on the hospital bed. "How long have you been getting updates on my condition?" Jim tried to joke.

"Ever since you..." Spock trailed off, looking away.

"Hey." Jim's voice was soft. He reached out for Spock, but could only manage to reach his hand. "I'm right here." He smiled. "And despite my appearance I can promise you I'm okay."

"Jim." Spock looked down at their hands and took Jim's in his own.

"Yes, Spock?" Jim asked looking at their hands as well.

"I must be honest with you." Spock said quietly.

"Aren't you always?" Jim smiled.

"I am indeed." Spock nodded. "You're... sudden passing left me with grief. I felt a pain that was... difficult to describe. My emotions got the better of me and brought me to a sudden realization." He held Jim's hand in both of his.

"And What was that, Mr. Spock?" He asked with a coy smile.

"I do not wish to live a day without you." He said bringing Jim's hand to his lips. He pressed a soft kiss to the back of his hand.

"Spock." Jim's gaze was full of unadulterated love. His eyes were wide open and his heart was absolutely melting. "I love you too."