Sub

Narrator's POV:
"My name is Mr. Spock, I will be here in place of Mr. Kenrig this afternoon." Some girl who sat up front rose her hand. "Yes?"

"How old are you?" She asked chewing her gum.

"I am 23 years, 8 months, 3 weeks, and 2.5 earth days old." He replied immediately.

"DAFUQ IM 20?!" She said spitting her gum as she spoke. He lifted his trash can and caught the rouge piece of gum. Everyone stared wide-eyed in shock. Then some kid threw a pencil at him which he smacked away without batting an eye.

"I realize I am considerably younger than Mr. Kenrig." He said with a sigh.

"Well I'll say." One of the guys up front said with a whistle. To put it politely, Kenrig was a dinosaur, he babysat Betty White when she was little. Kenrig was old.

"That should have no effect on your respect for me, have I made myself clear?" He said with a raised eyebrow.

"Nah, you're still green and pointy." Came a yell from the back. There was screaming and fists pounding on the tables.

Whenever there was a sub, Kenrig always left plans to write vocab. Most kids had heard they were gonna have a sub so they had written the vocabulary a period beforehand. So most were left with nothing to do, but torture this pore man.

Seconds after Mr. Spock gave the instructions to write the vocabulary kids were out of their seats, talking to their friends, on their phones, bringing him the paper.

"I believed my instructions were clear, no one is to leave their seat until they have completed their classwork." He said, folding his hands behind his back.

"Oh no, you were clear." A particularly sassy student said continuing to make their way to the front of the class.

"Then why exactly are you out of your seats?" He asked the growing crowd, raising his eyebrow.

"I finished my classwork." The kid said slapping their paper down onto the desk. "Just following instructions, sir." HJe had said 'sir' with so much disrespect it almost sounded like a curse word. There were a couple 'oohhhs' from the back but it was mostly quiet.

"I see." Mr. Spock replied, looking at the completed vocabulary sheet.

"Obviously 'you see' you're not blind." The kid scoffed.

"What is your name?" Spock asked pulling out the attendance sheet.

"George Wells." The kid stared as Spock checked something off on the sheet.

"Mr. Wells, of course." He looked back up from the clipboard. "You're eyesight is also not impaired, am I correct Mr. Wells?" He asked raising his eyebrow.

"Yeah." Came the defensive reply.

"Then I find it quite surprising you're still wearing that hat. Considering that poster specifically states there are no hats and or hoods permitted to be worn in the classroom." Mr. Spock replied.

"What did you just say to me?" This kid was a punk if I ever knew one.

"As I was only notified of one students hearing impairment I can infer you heard me perfectly." Spock replied raising an eyebrow towards the rowdy and impatient student.

"Well I can see your huge ass ears so you should be able to hear me when I say-"

"Hi there, oh I'm sorry I didn't realize you had a class this period, is this a bad time?" The history teacher Mr. Kirk stopped in the door way.

"No, not at all. Is there anything you need?" Mr. Spock asked, folding his hands behind his back.

"Yeah, actually there is." He started walking down the aisle up to the desk. "Anthony- I mean Mr. Kenrig gave me these notes yesterday because he knew he was gonna be out today. I was supposed to bring these to you first period, it must've slipped my mind." He handed Mr. Spock a stack of papers.

"Thank you. Mr.Kirk." Mr. Spock nodded and placed the papers on his desk.

"No problem, and if you have any question or need any help I'm one door away." Mr. Kirk turned around and started to walk out before making eye contact with a certain student. "Mr. Wells." He said in a bit of surprise. "Was your OSS ended early?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah, thanks for talking to Johnson for me." He smiled.

"As long as you stay out of trouble, and hey play nice with Spock, he's new." He patted George on the shoulder. "Seriously, we don't want you getting suspended again." He smiled, walking out of the classroom. The insults and sass had stopped after that. It was the 4th class of the day and only this class had stopped the immature insults. The period had ended faster than he had expected. He was now on his lunch break. He began to eat silently in that staff room.

"The kids weren't too much of a handful, were they?" The perky voice had interrupted Spock's train of thought. Spock rose and eyebrow toward the intrusion, coming from the all too sunshiny History teacher. "They didn't cause you too much trouble?" He clarified.

"Less than the 3 previous classes." Spock replied after some thought.

"Oh yikes, If the others were acting worse then what I heard from 4th period then what did they do?" Kirk's concern was quite apparent, for he knew how cruel these kids could be.

"The expected things from a human young adult in a situation where they feel they can test or discredit their superior's authority." Spock replied. He danced around the question with such elegance and grace, Kirk almost didn't realize, almost.

"Well I have the next 2 periods off, I could sit in and keep them in check if you'd like." James offered politely.

"I wouldn't want to deprive you of your free time." Spock reasoned.

"You wouldn't be depriving me of anything." Kirk's laugh was soft. "I've got nothing else to do and even Kenrig has trouble dealing with his 6th period class." He added.

The rest of the day was a breeze thanks to the new dynamic duo.