Family

"Honey, I'm home!" Kirk called out as he entered their house.

"You repeat this phrase every time you enter the house." Spock called from the kitchen.

"I know." Kirk laughed. He walked into the kitchen where Spock was cooking and wrapped his arms around him from behind, kissing him on the cheek. "I just love coming home, knowing I'll be able to see you, my darling." He kissed Spock again.

"Did something happen at work today?" Spock asked with a slight smile.

"Not exactly, but something exciting did happen! We'll talk about it over dinner." Jim said cheerily. He walking into their bedroom and changed out of his work clothes. He sped into the kitchen to give Spock another kiss. "Do you need any help in here, sweetheart?"

"Not at the moment, my love." Spock replied. "Oh! Now that I think of it, would you mind setting the table?" He asked, glancing over his shoulder.

"Of course not. Anything else, honey?" Kirk asked, heading over towards their small dining table which had space for six chairs even though they only needed two. He set the table quickly and was back by Spock's side in mere minutes.

"Dinner should be done soon." Spock sighed as Kirk wrapped his arms around his waist from behind.

"I can't wait to tell you the exciting news!" Kirk kissed all over the side of Spock's face.

"Why can you not tell me now?" Spock asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I fear that if I try to tell you on an empty stomach I may faint." Jim put his hand to his forehead with a joking smile. Spock turned the stove off and put on oven mitts to bring the pot of pasta to the sink. He poured it through a strainer and felt the steam brushing against his face, only moving back when it became too hot. Spock poured the remaining pasta into a large bowl and poured the sauce over it.

"Dinner is ready, my dear." Spock said softly as he walked the bowl over to the table.

"Thank you, beloved." Kirk whispered with a gentle smile. They both sat down, serving themselves. They held hands across the table as they ate. Kirk smiled as he at the pasta, Spock only raised an eyebrow, continuing to eat.

Spock could feel Kirk's overwhelming happiness surging into his skin through their connected hands. He couldn't help the lifting feeling in his heart. They looked at each other with soft, loving gazes, from soft, loving eyes and for a moment it seemed like everything in the universe was right. Kirk heard himself chuckle, he was so ridiculously, madly, in love, and he loved it. He loved being in love more than anything in the world. Actually it was the thing he loved 2nd most; what he loved more than being in love, was being in love with Spock.

They finished up dinner rather quickly after that, though Spock had tried to hide his excitement Kirk could read him like a book. After 4 years of being married Kirk could practically read Spock's mind. They boxed up the leftovers, Spock washed the dishes, Kirk dried the dishes, and together they put them away. They then moved to the couch and Kirk, once again, way radiating pure joy.

"We've been planning our future together for a while now, haven't we?" Kirk said with a smile. It was less of a question and more of a gentle statement.

"Indeed we have, Ashaya." Spock replied with a nod.

"...and not everything has gone according to plan." Kirk continued, slowly.

"That is also true." Spock answered, though he seemed less happy to agree with this statement.

"But sometimes plans change for the better." Kirk quickly added. "We changed." He smiled. "I remember when we first met you wanted nothing to do with me," Jim laughed, cupping Spock's face in one hand. "Uhura and I started off as enemies," He continued with a smile. "I thought you were an only child," Kirk playfully elbowed him at that. "I said I'd never join Starfleet," He began to speak as if he was just listing things they had been wrong about. "You thought I was a criminal, Bones thought you were the devil, I thought I'd never settle down, You said you would never have kids, and O'Reilly thought everything would've been better, if only we were Irishmen." Kirk finished with a ridiculously wide smile.

"I am glad you proved me wrong all those years ago and I hope you continue for years to come." Spock said in a soft and loving tone.

"Well honey, I'm hoping to do that right now." Kirk said almost nervously.

Spock stared at Kirk intently, waiting for the surprise he had been patiently anticipating all night.

"Spock, the adoption agency called." A smile spread across Kirk's face as he took Spock's hands in his own. His eyes welled up with tears as he opened his mouth to speak. "We're having a baby!" He shouted, pulling Spock into a tight hug.

Spock sat there, frozen, being held tightly in the embrace of the love of his life.

"A baby." Spock replied dumbly, barely processing the situation.

"Yes, Spock! Yes! We're having a baby!" Kirk hopped up and down excitedly, somehow still managing to stay kneeling on the couch. "Do you want to see her?" Kirk asked, tears still in his eyes. Spock nodded, wordlessly.

"Her." He replied in the same tone as before.

"She's a baby girl." Kirk nodded excitedly. "She's our baby girl!" Kirk pulled up a picture of the baby. She had dark brown eyes and even darker skin, she didn't have much hair, seeing as she was very young, but the hair she did have showed up in little chocolate brown curls, she didn't have any teeth yet but she had the widest, cutest little smile. Looking at her brought Spock back to reality.

"A-a baby, a girl, my baby girl, our baby girl." Spock grabbed either side of Kirk's face and kissed him hard through his happy tears. "Wh-what's her name?!" He asked, looking at their sweet baby girl.

"I couldn't just pick one out on my own!" Kirk exclaimed. "She's our baby, and we should choose her name together." He said with a ridiculous smile. "Would you want the give her a Vulcan first name and a human Middle name? Or maybe the other way around?" Kirk didn't want to push any names, he knew Spock would just let him name the baby whatever he wanted, but he wanted them to choose her name together.

"How do you feel about Rhak'tal?" Spock asked with a small smile.

"Rhak'tal," Kirk repeated with a fond smile. "it's perfect."