Chapter 38 | DREADED MOMENTS

The deeper the sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.

Khalil Gibran

☆☆☆

The sun's rays shone directly over the silver chain surrounding her little frame of a hand and the vulture and falcons from across the fence of the tranquil backyard chirped from one angle to another. Clearly marks the beginning of new day, new life and freedom to them. As the sun graced the atmosphere with its exquisite features, the warm wind swayed and danced around the tranquil surrounding rather occasionally as it swathe the little tiredness and fatigue of the previous day.

As the dark shades of her eyes stared into more darker ones of her father, a little joyous tear tried to escape her pure white eyes which were lined perfectly with a kohl. She smiled, despite the tears up, because with the sight in front of her she couldn't hold back even an ounce. As the smile embraced her lips and her cheekbones rose slightly, the tear trickled down her chin and her smile widened, another moisture brimming out.

He smiled back at her with an equal enthusiasm, his set of teeth showing as it glimmers and sparkle with the rays from above. She leaned back on the chair as she welcome the rays to warm up her bare cold creamy skin and the wind circulating in her nostrils. She inhaled calmly yet deeply before she parted her lips to say out the words she's been wanting to share with him.

"You're happy Abuya." She swathe the strand of hair that escaped her shawl back to its place before she wiggled with her ring, her wedding ring which was given to her by her mother-in-law over her first visit to her place. "It's been long since such feeling of stimulus was plastered to your serene face. Indeed a serene happiness you're enveloped in, Masha Allah!"

He locked his two hands together as a whoosh of an air escaped his lips. He pursed them before he look ahead of him into the tranquil stream that flow towards the east side of his backyard fence. "They accepted me."

"You thought otherwise? Oh dear father." Her brows knit with the edge of her eyes as a few wrinkles formed in her forehead. A few shivers danced to the bottom of her spine as the wind swayed near her open arms. She gasped.

"It was amazing. I was honoured."

"I've had that hope with me ever since you took off. How long?"

His smile widened as his hair brushed slightly against his shoulders aiding the wind that swayed. "A moon from now."

"Oh, Masha Allah!" She could figure out the signature of contentment lining his lids. Though his eyes were condensed, she could see the glimmer of happiness that sparkle from it. She click her tongue to the wall of her mouth before she spoke, "I'm contented Abuya, for you're happy. May Allah bless the union."

"Ameen binti. Now, tell me the reason for appearing at my house this early morning, don't you have work." His brows knitted with his voice and a little scowl gathered itself on his face.

She narrowed her eyes and pursed her lips, "Is it now a fault if I appear at my parent's house anytime I wish?"

"Indeed it is. You have a husband to take care of." Did he just said husband? She thought mentally as her scowl deepened. Is he worth to be called such. He's just a mere statue to her life. She'd tried countless of times to clear the unfathomable events between them but the barbarian won't pay heed to her. Her words seems forever cliché to his ears, not that she hasn't learn how to cope with such situations but the least could do. He won't just understand.

At the feeling of softness and furness encircling her ankle, she yelped frightened. "Abuya!" She folded the hem of her gown in her left hand as she observed beneath her. "Oh!" She sighed as her sight caught the innocent and tranquil eyes of a kitten. He stared at Lina's eyes, his large brown ones melting of fright too.