Chapter 33 | THE SHADED PAST OF AMRAH

Sometimes memories sneak out of our eyes and roll down our cheeks.

☆☆☆

The previous night had been amazing to Lina, in such a way that she felt the dawn took forever before it appears. At the first call of Adhan from the mosque in their area she woke up, prayed her Nawafil and Subh prayer, took her bath and got dressed.

She didn't forget - when she was overwhelmed - to ask for permission and genuinely was granted one. She was surprised, yet she accepted it, after all that was what she was aiming for.

Finishing the last touch of her granola, she arranged it on the table, set everything out and headed back to the corridor. She was in no mood for food, her happiness has already feed up her grumpy stomach. Eating the food means wasting more time, she isn't ready to waste a single second from now.

She knocked on his door twice. After a little silence, although she could hear little shuffling of objects from the other side, his voice came out. She didn't waste a minute in responding "I'm done, I'll be going" her voice filled with excitement.

"Take your time"

That too surprised her. She hurriedly replied him with an 'okay, thank you' before she waste time whilst he changes his mind. The moment she buckled herself between the seat and the seat belt, a whoosh of an air escaped her lips, in relief and contentment. She smiled to her view in the rear view mirror. That smile really adorned her pale face.

She prayed her du'a whilst she set the car in motion, welcoming herself to the tranquil surrounding of their street - being tranquil before the lopsided Jeanne starts her job, gossiping - she turned on her now everyday company, Yusuf Islam's nasheed.

Being it a Saturday morning, the roads were peaceful and calm, everything going out gently and smooth. It took her a few minutes before she arrives at the parking space of the gigantic and erect firm building of the City Hospital.

After she was back, she visited Ms Amrah thrice but all during those visits she was still unconscious. The family were in a great melancholy and grief with her condition, adding to the fact that none of her family is still found. As usual, Labiba and Ms Rayn took turns in looking after her. Labiba being the one to stay during the day while Ms Rayn takes after her at the evening and sleeps the night at the hospital.

But what the doctor informed them about the previous night brought smile to the face of all. She was up and conscious, weary and weak. Although he said she might forget some little things, that didn't bothered to them. She was up and hoping to be healthy and back to normal. That was all they wanted.

Following the new directions Labiba sent to her to the new room of Ms Amrah - after being moved from the ICU to the sick room - she arrived at the fourteenth room by the left side on the second floor.

Locating her father and Ayoub on the reclining chair of the long hallway, she was confirmed. Ayoub's eye sparkled on seeing Lina, with a dazzling smile he runs to her, hugging her legs tightly to his chest.

"Calm down Ayoub. I'm right her, you're hurting my legs" she carried him up to her waist, moving to where her father is. She missed his chubbiness and giggles, laughs and smile. To say the least, her too were rarely seen since from the day she left her father's house because Ayoub plays the major role in liting her day with his childishness.

"Assalamu Alaikum, Abuya"

"Wa'alaikissalam Lina. Here, sit" he moves to the end, giving both Ayoub and her the space. "How are you?" He questioned after she has settled down with Ayoub on her laps.

"Alhamdulillah, I'm fine. I can see you're happy today. What's popping?" She quizzically questioned with the smile playing on his lips.

"Nothing that much, just Ayoub telling me how.."