Chapter 15

As Jisoo finished telling Chaeyoung about her encounter with Jennie's dad, Chaeyoung couldn't help but get upset at her friend despite her promise to Jisoo earlier.

Jisoo sat still and patiently waited for Chaeyoung's reaction. She knew that the younger would not agree with her decision, but she had already anticipated that this would happen. After a few minutes of the 2 just sitting there in silence, Chaeyoung finally spoke up.

Chaeyoung: I can't believe you unnie. I don't understand why you're always acting so impulsively. I-I... why are you always making such stupid decisions unnie. I know you mean well but you're always the one getting the short end of the stick. Why can't you ever be selfish and think about yourself for just once in your life?

Jisoo smiled sadly at Chaeyoung.

Jisoo: I'm sorry that I disappointed you Chae. But I need you to know that before I had decided to marry Jennie, I had already thought about the outcome and how it would all end.

Chaeyoung: Well then you should know that you're gonna be the only one hurt in the end.

Jisoo cracked a half-hearted smile.

Jisoo: I know.

Chaeyoung reached for Jisoo's hand and held it tightly between her own hands.

Chaeyoung: Jisoo unnie please. For once can you please listen to me and cancel this marriage? Could you be selfish, for just this one time and think about yourself first? If not for yourself, can you please do it for me?

Jisoo placed her other hand on Chaeyoung's face and wiped away a stray tear that had escaped from the younger's eye.

Jisoo: You know I can't do that Chaeng.

Chaeyoung: Why do you always have to be so selfless and kind? You're always helping others when they don't even know how much you've done for them.

Jisoo: Remember what I told you before Chaeng? Not everything in life is fair. But don't you think that I should help those in need if I have the capability to do so?

Chaeyoung: But not when it's costing you your happiness unnie.

Jisoo: Yah what do you mean? I'm getting married to the woman I love. How can I not be happy?

Chaeyoung gazed softly at the sincereness reflected in Jisoo's eyes, and felt her own heart ache for the older girl.

Chaeyoung: Unnie...

Jisoo: I'll be fine Chae. I've already made up my mind. Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

Chaeyoung could feel the tears that were building up in her eyes. She blinked rapidly, not allowing them to fall. Nodding at Jisoo, she placed a smile on her face.

Chaeyoung: I better be your maid of honor then.

Jisoo smiled brightly despite the pain from her sorrow filled heart.

Jisoo: Of course Chaeyoung-ah. You're my one and only maid of honor. Kim Jisoo will always need her tall Chipmunk bodyguard by her side to protect her.

Chaeyoung let out a laugh despite the tears that were falling down her face, the tears that she had tried so hard to keep at bay. Jisoo laughed at the younger and pulled her in for a hug.

Jisoo: Thanks for understanding me and accepting my decision Chaeyoung-ah. Thank you for always protecting me and loving me, although I know it must be tough for you sometimes. And thank you for remaining by my side all this time.

•••

The next morning Jennie woke up to find herself in an unfamiliar room. Looking around, she realized that she was inside Lisa's room and remembered that she had decided to stay at the younger's house the night before.