Chapter 36

Ester’s POV

I lie on the grass with my head between my paws, a feeling of depression building in my heart. I can’t help but think about my life. My parents dying, Lucas dying and for what? So a power hungry dragon can obtain more power by using me to get through some kind of magical doorway in order to reach the angels and kill them all. I bet your life doesn’t look so bad now huh?

I huff as I think about just how screwed I am. Even if I can somehow kill Garbaroth, he has countless followers that could very easily come seeking revenge for their master’s death. An unpleasant though. It’s hard enough protecting my pack as it is without having to worry about making faceless enemies.

I grit my teeth in frustration. It seems that every time I turn around someone I care about gets hurt. And there’s absolutely nothing that I can do to stop it. I couldn’t do anything to protect Lucas so how can I possibly protect my other friends? The simple answer is that I can’t. That answer forces a growl out of my throat but that doesn’t make it any less true.

“What am I going to do?” I ask Taini. She’d been quiet for a while and I’ve decided that she needs to get her head back in the game. I need all the help I can get with dealing with the dragon.

There’s no answer for a few minutes and I feel that she isn’t going to answer my desperate question. “I’m sorry Ester but I simply don’t know what you have to do,” Taini whispers softly; as though she could soften the revelation by saying it quietly.

I growl in frustration and rise to my feet. I feel anger writhing within me but I push it away. It’s not her fault. She has done everything she can to help me and I can’t be reliant on her all the time. Although a little guidance would be nice. “I know. If I were still an angel, I would be able to help you, or at the very least give you some advice on what could possibly be the right direction.”

She goes quiet for a second. “I wonder…” I perk my ears up at the change in her tone. “Angels, as a rule, don’t intervene in the events of mortals. Usually. There are exception to the rules of course. An enemy who has the capability to potentially destroy them for example. They wouldn’t get involved without permission. But they might listen, they might offer you some insight if you ask for it.”

Okay. Ask for help from a bunch of angels who so far have done nothing whatsoever to stop the bloodshed because it’s against the ‘rules’. How the hell am I supposed to do that? Raise my head and scream at the top of my lungs?

I hear Taini erupt with laughter when she hears my question. “Oh child. As amusing as that would be, I don’t think that will work. No. the answer is much simpler. You must pray. Pray for guidance.”

I snort and shake my head. “Do you have any idea how many people in the world pray to angels. To God. What makes you think that they’ll be able to distinguish my prayer for millions of others?”

“Because they may be listening for your voice. That could be what they’re waiting for. It’s worth a try is it not?”

 I grunt and shake my head again. She does have a point. I could use all the help I can get and what’s the worst that could happen? I’ll be sitting in the middle of the woods making a desperate plea for help from a bunch of cloud-riding pigeons. I curse my lack of imagination and when Taini speaks again I can hear the smile in her voice.

“I am not sure if they will respond but we must try.” I roll my eyes and prepare to shift back to my human form. “Praying does not require you to make any physical noise. I would recommend you stay in your wolf form while praying. That way there is a higher chance that they will notice. While there are many people out there praying, there are very few wolves.”