Chapter 10

Marks POV 

This is all my fault. I should never have allowed her out of my sight and now she is hurt. If only I had stopped her from going out, she would not be hurt but she is. The doctor had arrived not too long ago and told me to leave. At first I objected. No way was I leaving her with a human but the doctor insisted he needed privacy in order to heal her. So now I am upstairs, pacing in my office.

A searing pain courses through my body and I fall to the floor clutching my head. I grunt as the pain subsides, only to be replaced by fear. Ester's fear. She was afraid of something. The fear is so strog that it invades every corner of my mind. Without thinking, I pull myself up and drag my tired body from the room to help her.

<*>

I hear a loud bang come from the direction of the medical room. Sprinting around the corner, I am just in time to see the door fly from its hinges and smashing into the wall, Ester's beautiful wolf on top of it.

I catch sight of the doctor who is cowering in fear before me.  Ester stands up to her full height, turning to face us. I gasp in horror as I see her eyes are pure black. She doesn't notice me standing behind the doctor, her eyes glued on only him, radiating pure hatred and anger. She has allowed her wolf to take complete control over her and I can only hope that she chooses not to attack.

As if she read my mind, her lips peel back from her teeth in a snarl, and she lunges for the doctor. A childish scream erupts from him and in order to save his life, I jump in front of him, tackling Ester to the ground.

She growls under me and pulls herself out, slowly backing away, her animalistic eyes surveying me. I hear whimper from behind me and I turn my head. "Run and get help." I didn't have to tell him twice as he turns and sprints away.

I return my gaze back to Ester and grunt as the mighty beast collides with me. We land on the floor, hard, and I roll out of harms way before she can recover. I spot her and jump out of the way as she lunges for me again. I shift into my wolf mid-jump, sanrling, telling her to back off.

She growls in return, raising her hackles and baring her teeth at me. "Ester. It's me. Mark." I say into her mind. A flash of recognition sparks in her eyes but it fades away, only to be replaced by rage. She lowers her head and growls warningly again.

We circle each other. My wolf is around the same size as Esters, but that is because I am an alpha. Alphas wolves are always larger than normal, though I have no idea how Esters wolf matches my size. She has always been different. Using my alpha power, I growl at her again, trying to force her to back down.

Her body sways slightly but she only shakes her head and lunges for me. I snarl and lunge forward as well, our bodies colliding in the middle in a mass of fur and claws. She head butts my shoulder and I hear a sickening crack. Ignoring the pain, I grip her shoulder between my teeth and throw her across the hall. She hits the wall, falling to the floor with a whimper.

I feel a twinge of pain flare through my heart. I don't want to harm her but it was necessary. I watch as she rises shakily to her feet, her eyes looking misty before she shakes her head and they clear. She bares her teeth and barrels towards me again. I snarl and dodge to the side but she catches my leg between her teeth and drags me with her.

Howling in pain, I turn and twist my body until Ester ends up on her back. I lunge for her throat. Gripping it between my teeth, I growl telling her to back off. She only snarls in response and I feel her claws tear into my stomach.

I am forced to release her and she launches me into the wall. My body groans in protest as I try to rise. I make I half way up, before flopping back down with a grunt. Looking over, I watch as Ester charge towards me, her eyes full of rage.