Chapter 29

The two police officers stare at me and I just stare in return. No one moves for a good few minutes. The first one to move is the man sprawled on the ground. "Oh thank god officers. Please help me. This crazy bitch just attacked me for absolutely no reason."

I growl at him. How dare he make such a claim?! He probably thinks that he's so smart and that he will be believed but I'll prove him wrong. I look at the pair of men, then to the gun; which is just behind me now since I lunged forward, then look at Mark. I turn my gaze back to the pair of officers and see comprehension on their faces.

"I take it that this man shot your friend there and you acted in self-defence?" one of them asks me. I dip my head low in a nod and the pair put their guns away. "Apologies ma’am. Now what...?" he trails off, his gaze locked firmly behind us.

I don't bother turning around because I can sense the dozens of wolves around us. They heard the gunshot and reacted on instinct. They shifted and rushed to the aid of their alpha.

"Everything is okay. There is nothing going on now so please get back to whatever it was you were doing before now. It is starting to get late so please go and get some rest. Thank you," Mark states in a very level voice.

Getting late? I think it's only around 8:30, if even that. I guess Mark just wants everyone to leave before some kills someone else. He's very thoughtful that way.

After a brief hesitation, the wolves begin to disperse until only six wolves remain. My five friends and one small white one. Brandy. I ignore her though. The last thing I want to do is throw down with her in front of the police. That would be rude.

I lay myself down on the ground with a sigh to show the officers and the loon job who brought the gun that I'm perfectly relaxed. My friends trot over and lay all around me with sighs of their own. The front doors slam and a flustered looking Yale jogs out.

"What on earth happened...?" he trails off, his eyes fixed on the gunman. "Harold? What the hell are you doing here?" he asks in an incredulous tone. The gunman, Harold I presume, stares at Yale slack jawed for a few minutes. He clears his throat and slowly gets to his feet.

"I came here looking for you. You told me you were coming here to talk to the chick who dropped you off at the hospital. Then I don't hear anything from you for a full day...what did you expect me to think?"

Huh? Has it really only been a day? It certainly feels longer than that. Yale has adapted pretty quickly to being both a vampire and a mate. Perhaps one helped him cope with the other.

Yale sighs. "Of course. I completely forgot, I apologise. No, I'm absolutely fine. Just got a bit distracted. It's very interesting here; I think I'll stay for a while." He walks towards us and plops himself down beside Lucas.

Harold stares before his face contorts in anger and frustration. "What the hell Yale? You said this would be the story of a lifetime. What's going on exactly?" He takes a deep breath which seems to take some of the anger out of him.

Yale has a pained look on his face as he gently strokes Lucas' fur. "I know what I said but I was wrong. There are no creatures. No fairies. No vampires." I flick my ears at his last comment but otherwise don't react.

Mark settles down beside me, just as Yale did with Lucas and begins stroking my face absentmindedly. The two officers just watch with over-observant eyes. "Besides," Yale continues. "I've met someone here. Someone who has stolen my heart." He looks into Lucas' eyes and you can practically see the love radiating off them.

"Oh hooray. The faggot and the leech. Such a happy little fairy tale," Brandy snarls through the mind link so we can all hear. I growl very softly which the wolves around me echo. Mark shushes us and gives Brandy a level look.