Chapter 19

It's been a full day since the incident with the vampires. Me and my friends are now sitting down at lunch, when Skylar asks, "has there been any news?" I clench my jaw. No, there has been no news since Demetri whisked Yale away to change him. I'm worried because even if he does survive the change, there is no grantee that he will recognise Lucas, but I don't want to say this to my friends. It will only worry them more.

"I'm afraid not Sky," I mumble and every face at the table drops. Well my four friends faces. "Don't worry though. I'm sure everything will be fine. It's not like we know how long it is supposed to take so stop worrying." I'm not sure if they believe me, but they all nod anyway. We do treat each other as a family and now that one of our members are down, of course we are all worried. But at the same time, we are trying to hide that fear from each other. I guess it's a way to make us all feel better, but I don't think it actually works.

After a few minutes of silence, both Skylar and Alex rise to their feet. "Well, we have to go and see Mr Mallard and then Mr Sullen for help in the classes so we will see you later." They put their lunch trays away and wave as they head towards the stairs. The three of us left wave in return.

"Oh look at the smile on her face," Starr says slightly too me. I look at her, a confused look on my face. "Oh don't look at me like that Ester. At the mere mention of his name you have a stupid smile on your face. It's obvious you like him, and that he likes you too. It's kind of cute actually." I only look at her. Nah. Mark doesn't like me, does he? I mean, do I like him?

I look at Harley for help. "Don't look at me, Ester. Believe it or not, Starr actually knows what she is talking about. The way he looks at you and the way you look at him, you couldn't miss it. I mean, why do you think Brandy hates you so much?" Hmm. I guess I never thought about it like that before. It's no secret that Brandy wants to mate with Mark. And I guess that if she sees me as competition. That would explain why she hates me so much.

I look away, a small smile on my lips again. Well, the fact that Mark hasn't actually chosen Brandy as a mate proves he has feelings for me, right? And me? Do I have feelings for him? Well, I think I may. When he was shot, my wolf completely took over, willing to protect him with my own life. So yes. I think I may have feelings for him.

"Well well. Look what the cats dragged in." Great. Speak of the devil and Brandy shall appear. Poor devil. I have to keep myself from growling at her. She isn't in my popular books, well she never is, but after Mark was shot she was determined to have a fight, even though Mark could have died. Clearly, she doesn't love him. She only wants to be his mate for the power it would give her.

"What do you want Brandy?" Harley asks, venom dripping off every word. Brandy sneers at her before giving her a disgusted look. Oh she better be careful what she says because I am so not in the mood to put up with her crap. "How dare you talk to me you filthy little mutt. You will learn to respect your future alpha or I will make you pay with your life."

Oh no she didn't. Did she really just threaten my friend? What, is she thick? Surely she has learned by now that the only reason she isn't a cowering mass on the floor is because Mark usually stops me before I can do anything. Well, Mark isn’t here now, is he? Slowly, I rise to my feet,, a growl vibrating through my chest. No-one threatens or insults my friends and gets away with it. Least of all a stupid little girl who wants to be an alpha.

"Oh, scary. The little bitch can growl, but can you fight? Too bad you couldn't protect your little human friend." Oh now she has done it. Before she can even blink, I have her pinned to the wall be the throat. My control begins to slip again, but I don't even care. This pathetic little mutt deserves to feel the full wrath of my wolf without mercy.

"You had better mind your tongue, Brandy, or you may find yourself without one," I growl at her. She only growls at me and I tighten my grip around her throat. Oh how good it would feel to squeeze the life from her body. To watch as she turns purple and flails uselessly until she is unable to fight. Now that would be fun.