Chapter 14

Ester's POV

Ok. So perhaps the human isn't as useless as he first appeared to be. He didn't really look like the kind of man who would survive in the army, never mind survive in the field. I guess appearances can be deceiving. "This human is kind of sweet."

I turn to my friend Lucas and roll my eyes. Usually, a gay werewolf was regarded as weak and usually remains at the bottom of the pack, but Lucas, one of my best friends, was Mark's third. He is also one of the pack's best fighters and has a lot of respect. Besides, if anyone messed with him, they would soon be receiving a little visit from me.

"Meh. He's alright. You do realise that if you two have a relationship you have to explain the whole "mate" thing to him." Werewolves don't see their mate and suddenly fall head over heels in love. No. A mate bond could take years to form, and to be full mated, you have to do the deed and mark one another. Both must consent, but when the bond is created, it becomes a solid wall connecting the two together in an impenetrable barrier. If one mate dies, the other would die also. I know of very few werewolves who survive their mate's death.

"Plus you will either have to tell him everything or keep him in the dark." Not all of the information regarding werewolves and lycan has been made public. For example, the humans know nothing of dragons, magic, vampires or any other supernatural. They were also not told how silver is harmful, though most would guess from "The Wolf man" movies. Well, to kill one of us; it would take A LOT of silver. So far no shifter has been seriously harmed by human action regarding silver. You have the religious nuts who believe we are the armies of Satan sent to destroy human existence, even though we were here way before they even existed.

Then you have the nut jobs who want to "be one of us". They think that from a single bite, they will become powerful shifter and be unstoppable. Uh. No. If a shifter bites you, it will hurt. It won't kill you, unless you are given a life-threatening injury, or are daft enough to think you are now a shifter and challenge someone. Then, you will die.

"Ester. Please. I just want to have a normal relationship. There is no need for "what if's" at this stage," Lucas grumbles at me. Ok. So maybe I am a little over-protective of my friends, but hey. I'm a wolf. Lucas remains quiet as we watch Yale bandage Mark with the remainder of his shirt. "Sorry," I mumble softly to him, and he walks over to me, licking my muzzle.

I grunt and flick him with my tail, unable to move because of Mark's grip on me. A deep rumble emits from his chest, which I take to be laughter. Yale's voice interrupts us. "Ok. We have to get him and me back to the school. Once we are there, I can him up properly and he should heal in no time."

I huff and gently lower my body to the ground. "Looks like you need a hand Mark," I grunt to him. He only chuckles and begins to pull himself onto my back. Yale steps forward and helps Mark to sit comfortably. Almost instantly, Mark's arms go around my neck and he buries his face into my back, breathing deeply, almost as if he were trying to breathing my scent. I slowly rise to my full height, careful not to knock him off balance.

"Ok. So what about me?" I look at Lucas, already knowing he will willingly volunteer. I gently nudge Yale in Lucas's direction but he looks clueless. I only roll my eyes at him. "Ok Mark. Hold on tight," I mumble soothingly to him. Blood has already begun to seep through the makeshift bandages and I could tell he was tired. He pats my side, telling me he understood and I take off into the trees.

<*>

I love to run. My body and soul feel free and I rejoice in the feeling. The only problem is, Mark is hurt and I have to get him to safety. We finally emerge from the trees only too be met by the concerned faces of the women of the pack. Males are very protective of females, even if they are not mates. When the males go off to fight, the females are left behind for their own protection. They tried this with me, well Mark did. It didn't work.