Chapter 1: Cassia

"You know, when people set me up on blind dates I've never actually been on one with someone who actually is blind."

"Cassia! My god. Don't be rude. You know he was born like that. It's not something you could just go and fix."

I narrowed my eyes at Demetria through the bathroom mirror. She reapplied her cherry red lipstick that faded while we were eating dinner.

"How come you got the cute one and I'm stuck with... the one that's not?" I whined. "I mean, he's so cross eyed i don't even know which eye is his good one. I swear he's not even looking at me."

Demetria laughed.interrupting

"I promise I had no idea!" She held up her hands defensively. "Chandler said that the friend he was bringing has a great personality, is really nice and is funny."

I rolled my eyes.

"That's literally code for not cute. And besides, he's got the worst sense of humor I've ever seen. He hasn't laughed at any of my jokes! And I'm the funniest person I know!"

"Give him a break. He's just nervous. This is one of his first real dates... just like you."

"Shut up." I crossed my arms wrinkling my dress. "You know I just haven't had anytime for guys."

"Oh, I remember. Trust me, i do." She said turning to face me as she leaned against the sink. "I remember because you had almost no time for me either. Screw design school! I'm so glad you're finished with that. Now you have no excuse to avoid hanging out with me... or getting this god awful date over with."

She smiled wickedly before walking out of the bathroom.

"I'm so sorry to cut this short boys, but we must be going." Demetria said when we sat back down. "I just got a call that my little brother is sick home alone."

"But we just ordered dessert." Demetria's date complained.

"Well, all the more for you to stuff your face with." She patted his cheek.

"Jacob," I laid my hand on top of his. "It was very nice meeting you. You've got a beautiful head of hair. Have a nice life."

"Thank you." He said running his free hand through his hair.

Demetria stood up from her chair and i followed her lead. I rummaged through my purse before pulling out a twenty dollar bill and laying it on the table.

Demetria was already out front of the restaurant by the time I caught up with her. A cigarette was dangling on her lips as her hand tried to spark up her old lighter.

"Stop that!" I scolded snatching the cancer stick from her lips. "You told me you quit smoking!"

She batted her eyes innocently.

"Old habits die hard?"

"Nice try." I held out my hand. "Fork 'em over."

She grumbled as her hand disappeared into her bag before returning with a pack of smokes. She slapped them hard against my palm.

"The lighter too."

"But it's an antique!" She whined clutching it against her chest.

"But I'm convinced it's the only reason why you even smoke."

She opened her mouth to protest but stopped. She stared at me blankly before nodding her head.

"I mean, you're not entirely wrong."