15. Chapter - Mother

The thing was, once someone pointed something out for me, there was no way I could stop thinking about it or ignore it

The thing was, once someone pointed something out for me, there was no way I could stop thinking about it or ignore it. So, of course, the moment we left the house – it was more like a forest cottage taken out of Tolkien's stories – my eyes kept wandering in every direction, and I was actively looking for anything remotely weird or out of the ordinary. If this Eilan guy wanted me not to look, he shouldn't have mentioned it at all. The way I saw it, he basically invited me to explore everything. No one warned people about a murderer in their neighborhood only to tell them to ignore that information afterward and keep on living their lives as if it never happened.

Okay, that comparison might have been a little over the top, but whatever. My brain saw no difference.

Also, someone should define what out of ordinary meant in the supernatural sense because was I supposed to ignore weird animals or people cutting their veins out and eating them? I lived as a human surrounded by human stuff. Everything here would be out of the ordinary for me. The stupid scarf around my neck was out of the ordinary with its unreal texture and color so bright it looked like fresh blood on snow. And while I did have a bit of an experience, with Eileen being my best friend, her kind of supernatural was really tame compared to my imagination and the creeps I had been feeling since the moment I woke up in the forest.

Looking around unapologetically, I was surprised by how almost fairy-tale-like my surroundings looked. We were in a medieval forest village. There were no better words I could use to describe it. Small cottages were standing all around us, built out of nothing but materials that were found in the woods. They were all green and brown, made out of wood, leaves, and what seemed like moss. There were also houses built in and around trees, down on the ground, as if cut out into massive trunks, and high in the crowns, looking almost like big bird nests.

There were many people all around. I could see a lot of sitting areas full of people chatting, drinking, and eating, obviously having the best time of their lives. As if they were in the middle of a celebration of some sort. They were also all blurred to me, just like Eilan. It was a bizarre experience, and it freaked me out a little. Seeing blurry people everywhere was just too close to many, many horror books and movies that did not end well for the protagonists. I sure hoped I was more of a side character than the main one.

One thing suddenly caught my attention, my mind racing.

"What are all those mushrooms?" I asked, scowling. Each of the outside seating was surrounded by a big mushroom circle. A fairy ring, one would say. I knew a little about that from Eileen, but nothing more beyond its name and that I should avoid them at all costs if I wasn't with someone I trusted. It wasn't elemental magic, so she couldn't really speak about it with an outsider like me. Once again, all those rules of theirs.

It was a blessing and a curse all at once, knowing about the existence of supernaturals while not knowing the details. As such, I never knew if the shadows in the night were just shadows or if I should be running away, shitting my pants because something was about to eat me.