8. Chapter - Acceptance

When I woke up, I couldn't quite comprehend where I was and what happened

When I woke up, I couldn't quite comprehend where I was and what happened. The last thing I remembered was going for a shower and feeling like shit. How I ended up sleeping was a mystery to me.

Sitting up, I looked around, shocked I found myself in our pack hospital, hooked on a drip. My head spin a little when I stood up, ripping the syringe out of my arm in the process; a loud beeping attacked my ears in the worse possible way, almost making my tympanic membrane burst. With that, it became painfully clear I was far from my best condition, but as much as I tried, I still couldn't come up with the reason why. There was something like a block in my mind, and nothing in my memory was even close to an explanation of what happened after I got into the shower.

Irritation finding its way up my mind, I growled lowly, starting my way towards the door. If there was anyone who could tell me what was going on, it was the doctor herself. She might be new in her position, but I doubted I would be here without her knowledge.

Almost reaching the door, I soon found myself breathless, gasping for air as if I just run a marathon. My lungs started to burn, and before I knew it, I was falling on my knees, black spots swimming in front of my eyes. I didn't understand what was happening, but I was lucky enough as Elizabeth, the pack doctor, just came in, immediately running towards me.

"Brian! What are you doing out of the bed? Are you crazy?" she helped me up, slowly leading me back. The only problem was the fact I was still gasping for air. Walking while not being able to breathe wasn't an easy task.

"C-can't-" I started, stopping as I was feeling I was close to collapsing, "br-" her grip on my arm tightened, and I could see she understood my problem right after she looked at me. I was probably blue by then because the oxygen just wasn't making its way in. There was no other explanation for my current condition.

"Oh god," she let go of me, running somewhere, leaving me to fall back on the floor, a loud thud resonating through the whole room. If someone saw me in this state, they would most likely assume I was a weakling and not the future Alpha of our pack. And that realization hit me like a brick.

I was pathetic.

If someone really saw me like this, we would be done for. I couldn't imagine anyone would follow a pack with such a weak successor. I would either end up being suspended of my title and some other alpha would take over, or they would leave us be but choose a different pack for representatives as we would lose even the little trust we managed to earn. I wasn't sure which scenario was worse.

Liz came back, pushing something onto my face and talking to me. I could see her panicked expression and wide gesticulation, but all I heard was buzzing. A deep buzzing deep within my brain that was resonating throughout my whole being.

"Breath!" a sudden loud voice entered my mind, my lungs listening to it and taking several deep breaths. Closing my eyes, I continued to breath, calming down my beating heart and tremors running through me in waves which I didn't realize until now.