Chapter 13: Light and Darkness

The picture above is Marduk depicted at Mesopotamia's heritage in Musée du Louvre.

••

A loud rumbling noise rang my ears, thunder. I turned around and saw a man draped in royal robes. He looks... holy. He has small white wings behind him, he wears a pioneer helmet with hanging bowl and pattern wielded sword in his hands.

He shows off a pure, white light but something dark emanates from him as he rove his dark green eyes menacingly around us. Then his eyes landed to me and I felt myself transfixed with apprehension. He narrowed his eyes, appraising me. A few seconds later, when I'm starting to sweat profusely, he chuckled.

This was not the right time to fangirl but I found his voice lovely, angelic.

"Marduk," Raven acknowledged him nonchalantly.

I frowned, my memory earlier flashing. The depiction was old, and has larger wings. But now, seeing the real Marduk, I realized another fallacy as he looks like one of the cherubs we're looking for.

"Raven. Again?," he asked condescendingly. "And now with two pawns and a human and...," he turned his eyes back to me, squinting. " I see."

He can't keep his eyes off me, as if she had seen me before once a long time ago and tries to remember. "Is she-"

Before he could ask, Raven moved to stand before him swiftly. I didn't even saw him move a limb and with just a heartbeat, he's facing the man dangerously, ready to kill.

"Hold it," he warned, his voice was unusually deeper. Trouble.

"Or what? You'll lose again?," he's clearly enjoying this as his eyes twinkle wickedly. "You never learned."

Raven snapped and punched an empty air as the man who was supposed to receive the end of his fist suddenly vanished before him before anyone could see. He reeled a bit but quickly composed himself. We were all looking around, searching for Marduk. I can't see him anywhere too, but the hairs on my skin were telling me that he's just near, ready to harm anyone without us noticing.

Everyone's alert and positioned to fight, I was out of place, but I really strained my eyes in hopes to see our opponent. Andra was sniffing the air, as if she can smell presence. I watched her drearily as her eyes slowly turned to me, then her eyes widened and she started to run towards me.

"EVE!"

I felt two fingers pressed hard against the pulse in my neck and my whole body started to tremble wildly as a massive electric shock coursed furiously all over my veins before I lost my consciousness.

••

My mother pulled my hand to guide me to the playground. Our family were having a picnic but I started to get bored so my Mom thought of taking me somewhere where I can enjoy myself as a kid.

"Mom, are there many kids in the playground?"

She chuckled lovingly, her voice a sweet melody. "Of course. You're gonna make friends there, I'm sure of it."

"But what if they don't like me?," I asked worriedly.

"There is no reason to dislike you," she answered, smiling at me fondly which made me smile too.