Chapter 5: Sunday In Distress

Eve's POV

I groaned as the sunlight peeked through the curtains, showering flares of heat at my still sleepy face. I can still feel the weariness from yesterday, it feels like I can't leave my bed's comfort. Instead of waking up eagerly like I usually do, I choose to lay still and bury my face underneath the covers. The past week happenings had put so much on my plate, I hope things would become all new, differently good this new week.

"But you need to come with me, of course."

I frowned while my eyes were still closed. I can't agree... yet. My Dad doesn't even know a thing on what really happened during and after I got in an accident. Till I got with the real accident. I can't believe that I'm dealing with Raven, a demidemon, and also a reaper itself.

I decided finally to just open my eyes as I realized that I wouldn't fall back into sleep any time possible. I looked at the wall clock only to find it was already 9:26 AM. I grumbled to myself. By this time, I should have been already showering for our little picnic with the Grand's. My father and Adam's parents decided to bring back what we had used to do during Sundays ever since me and Adam were only a child.

We haven't done our avocation together since my late mother's passing. It was as if our lives had stopped from turning for we can't bring ourselves to hang out together without Mom being around. I smiled to myself as I reminisce the day Mom had made a friendship between her and Adam's mom. Thence started a bond, thence started a strong friendship.

My eyes, which were still groggy from a motley of tiresome and lack of sleep since I woke, were squeezed shut as I controlled my tears from falling. Instead, I crumpled my blanket and hugged it close to me. We'll be fine.

Suddenly, the sound of a truck broke me out of my trance. My eyes were barely open as I drowsily left my bed and walked towards my window.

The long time abandoned house next to ours was surprisingly being filled with staffs carrying home furniture's inside it. I wondered what has attracted the new inhabitant to buy and live in such lonely, gloomy house.

Then I noticed, there were also a number of staffs grooming the house, cutting off the vines that has grown long which almost covered the house, and painting it with a new, vibrant, fresh creamy color.

I heard my stomach grumble, leading myself to walk downstairs straight ahead without even doing my personal hygiene beforehand.

My surroundings were blurry as my eyes were still heavy.

"Oh, Eve. There you are. Meet our new neighbor."

The voice of my Dad made my head turn to his direction and the new-

My eyes went wide; not sure if it was because I missed a step of stairs, or because inside our house here was Raven.

Either of the two, I fell hard on the ground in the process. Dad rushed towards me, hoisting me up.

"You ok?," he asked in a worried voice. I must have been looking shit right now.

"I think not, sir," Raven answered for me. "You must have a first aid kit," he said, but sounded like he's asking Dad to get it.

"Ok, you sit on the couch, Eve. I'll go get it."

I nodded and tried to walk properly as I can, but wobbled as my left knee was badly injured.

"I'll take it from here, Sir," Raven offered, taking me by my elbows.

"Thank you, Raven. Nice impression so far," Dad complimented then went away.