@𝚓𝚕𝚗𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚕𝚝𝚢

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

QUESTION 1. What is your name (or nickname/pen-name if preferred)?
— My name is Jalevpha Edwards and my pen-name is jlnovelty but I prefer my government.

QUESTION 2. What started you on the path to writing?
— I was always isolated and had continuous ideas and scenarios popping up in my head, so I just started to write them out.

QUESTION 3. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer, and specifically in the genre of urban fiction?
— When I discovered Ni-Ni Simone and L.Divine in the 7th grade. I was always a reader but when I came across the urban genre, I fell in love because they were so relatable and also because there weren't many of them in our school libraries. I wanted and still want to be the one to put more of them there to aspire more writers like myself, or to just make more kids want to be avid readers.

QUESTION 4. When did you write your first book and how old were you?
— I wrote my first book in the tenth grade at the age of fifteen. Before then, it was only a few dainty chapters but my first completed work was on Wattpad titled "Rich Hood Girl". It was an August Alsina fan fiction.

QUESTION 5. Who are some of your favorite authors on and off Wattpad?
— On Wattpad, my favorite writers are:
GenHope KaeMarjPublishing thatcrystalbabe fiftyslays fearlesslyimperfect
Off Wattpad, my favorites are: L.Divine, Ni-Ni Simone, Monique McKayhan and Sharon M. Draper; these writers inspired me for sure.

QUESTION 6. How long have you been writing?
— I have been writing seriously for four years.

QUESTION 7. How do you think you've evolved creatively?
— I've learned how to step out of my comfort zone of everything being a fairy tale. I've learned to allow the characters to be their own separate from me as a person.

QUESTION 8. Why did you choose to write in your particular field or genre? If you write more than one, how do you balance them?
— I chose to write in Urban Fiction because it is what I know best and what I, myself, love to read. However, I do want to step into other genres such as Fantasy.

QUESTION 9. What are the upsides and downsides to being an author?
— The upsides of being an author is allowing your ideas and thoughts to be out in the world. People learn and relate to the characters and gain aspiration.

The downsides are your ideas being stolen sometimes or having writer's block when you really want to write. It can be very frustrating.

QUESTION 10. What do you love most about the writing process?
— I love putting myself through the emotions of the characters and the plot. I surprise myself sometimes with what I have them say or do and it is so fun to just type without much thinking; I love it.

QUESTION 11. Why do you write? What keeps you motivated during creative slumps?
— If I don't write, I'm sure that I would go insane. Thousands of ideas swarm around my head daily and to not be able to put them out would drive me off the wall. But to keep me motivated, I go to social events and analyze people, watch one of my favorite movies or listen to music. The smallest thing will open the gate to my creative juices.

QUESTION 12. Do you outline books ahead of time or are you more of a by-the-seat-of-your-pants writer?
— It's kind of 25/75. Majority of the times when I plan them out, I either don't complete them or they aren't my favorites. The books that I have written off of impulse seem to be my favorites or my supporters' favorites.

QUESTION 13. How many books have you written?
— I have written ten books but only four are posted on Wattpad.

QUESTION 14. Out of all the books you've written, do you have a favorite?
— I would say that "Celina's Deception" is my favorite book. It's a short story and honestly the quickest book I've ever written. But at the time, I was in a horrible funk and that book pulled me out. It's also the first book I've written without a happy ending.

QUESTION 15. If someone is brand new to your work, what book do you think they should start with?
— I would say start with "Celina's Deception" only because it's not apart of a series and contains my most diverse characters.

QUESTION 16. What do your fans mean to you?
— I love them so much! At one point, I didn't even want to write anymore and they lost it. They even went upon themselves to message me plots. Some of them shared constructive criticism with me or even told me just how much the book has shown them about the world.

QUESTION 17. What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
— Write for you! Never write because a certain type of plot is popular or because someone wanted you to. Write from emotion. If you're depressed and want to see rainbows and flowers, write a book that has rainbows and flowers. Also if you're on Wattpad, don't allow reads to determine the quality of your work. Gain your day ones and soon the others will hop on.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Thank you so much for accepting to do this interview jlnovelty so aspiring. Please take the time to check out her works; they're remarkable.