@𝙶𝚎𝚗𝙷𝚘𝚙𝚎

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

QUESTION 1. What is your name (or nickname/pen-name if preferred)?
— My name is Eugenia, but you all know me as Gen Hope. I wouldn't say that's my pen name, but it's been working for me so far. I'm still working on that part.

QUESTION 2. What started you on the path to writing?
— As a kid, I was an avid reader. I loved to read and still do. I've always been a creative person and I was always looking for different ways to channel my creativity. I started writing my freshman year of high school after seeing people writing stories on Youtube. Yes, Youtube. If you're older, you probably know what I'm talking about. People used to write fan-fictions on Youtube using slideshows. I thought it was so cool being able to write and implement videos and pictures. My stories were terrible, but people said they were good. It's always funny and embarrassing when people say they read my stories on Youtube.

QUESTION 3. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer, and specifically in the genre of urban fiction?
— I realized I wanted to be a writer after I took a break from it for a couple of years to focus on college. I was in college, but didn't really know what I wanted to do. After not picking a major for so long, I finally decided on being an English major with a concentration in Secondary Education. I'm good at a couple of things, but I've always felt like I was the best at writing. Not only do I want to teach others and give them the love I have for literature, but I want to write as well. Writing urban fiction wasn't a choice, it's something that just happened. My stories were categorized as urban fiction because of the setting and characters. I think it partly has to do with what I can relate to as a writer that ended up getting translated into my stories.

QUESTION 4. When did you write your first book and how old were you?
— According to my Youtube, it was 2011, which means I was 14 years old.

QUESTION 5. Who are some of your favorite authors on and off Wattpad?
— Off of Wattpad: Mildred D. Taylor, Sista Souljah, Alan Lawrence Sitomer, Chinua Achebe, and R.H. Sin.

On Wattpad: UrbanQueen KaeMarJPublishing
(I'm not going to lie, I don't really read stories on Wattpad anymore—I don't have time—but these are all I can think of.)

QUESTION 6. How long have you been writing?
— Seven years.

QUESTION 7. How do you think you've evolved creatively?
— Over the years, I have evolved creatively by taking myself out of the fanfiction pigeon hole. I used to only write stories about really big celebrities and most of the time I created a story following their own life, which can become restricting. Before it was about picking the most good looking celebrity male or female to play the parts because I knew that's what the readers wanted. Now, I pick a person based on if they fit how I want them to look for a specific character. I also evolved by not writing such cliche stories and covering topics that most people haven't or in a new way.

QUESTION 8. What are the upsides and downsides to being an author?
— An upside to being a writer is having a way to vent. Writing is almost like a form of therapy. Not only are you helping yourself, but you're also helping those that read your stories. Some people find refuge in these stories, so with writing you can give them a place to escape.

The downsides of being a writer is just not having any ideas. Writers block can be very frustrating, especially when you want to finish a story. It's even worse when you know what you want to happen in the story, but can't write it out. Another downside of being an author is when the readers don't quite interpret your writing the way you see it. Once you put it out for others it becomes the readers' story meaning they can see it however they want. They're perspective may be totally different from yours, but you have to accept it.

QUESTION 9. What do you love most about the writing process?
— I feel like my writing process is unique and works for me. It's a way for me to sit down and let everything out. I'm the type of person who is always thinking 24/7 and writing helps me get out certain ideas. It allows me to let out all of my feelings that I feel like I can't discuss with other people. I also like the research aspect of my writing process. I feel like I'm always learning in order for me to write these realistic stories.

QUESTION 10. Do you outline books ahead of time or are you more of a by-the-seat-of-your-pants writer?
— I used to outline books, but not anymore. I just come up with the idea for the chapter then I start writing. If I have an idea for a chapter way down the line, I will write it in my notes, so I don't forget.

QUESTION 11. How many books have you written?
— I'm going to go based off of Wattpad because I don't count my other books. They were terrible. That means I have written and actually finished five books.

QUESTION 12. Out of all the books you've written, do you have a favorite?
— My favorite book that I have written and finished is "Ramona Park Legend". I feel like it's one of my most underrated books because it goes against all odds and steers away from the norm. I did it as an experiment to see how many people would read a book that doesn't have the typical good looking, thug persona as the lead on Wattpad. Basically, it proved my point, but it turned out to be a great book.

Once I finish "The God Complex" or "Four Letter Word", one of those will probably be my favorite.

QUESTION 13. If someone is brand new to your work, what book do you think they should start with?
— Most people start with my Dave East series ("Black Rose" & "Gold Petals") when they're new to my work. Would I personally suggest you start there? No. Those are the first books I wrote after taking years off from writing and Black Rose is my first book on Wattpad. They're very cliche in my eyes. I can admit they're only popular because they're about Dave East even though I wrote those before he became popular on Wattpad. If I had to pick, I would say start with "F*ck You, Pay Me" or "The God Complex".

QUESTION 14. What do your fans mean to you?
— They mean everything to me. It doesn't matter what I'm going through, when I see them encourage me to keep writing or say they love my stories, it makes me smile. I never thought so many people would enjoy my writing when this was just a hobby to me. I will always be thankful for them, even if my writing never goes beyond Wattpad.

QUESTION 15. What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
— Write for you. Don't ever feel like you have to start writing the way someone whose work is more popular than yours. Your writing should be authentic to you. Have your own writing style and voice. If you want to write about someone or something that no one else has, do it. If you feel like no one is reading your stories, still keep writing. Everything will happen how and when it's supposed to.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Thank you so much for accepting to do this interview GenHope excellent advice and some real words to go by. Please take the time to check out her works; she's phenomenal.