@𝙳𝙻𝚒𝚝𝚝𝚕𝚎𝚆𝚛𝚒𝚝𝚎𝚛

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

QUESTION 1. What is your name (or nickname/pen-name if preferred)?
— D.S. Little or DLittleWriter

QUESTION 2. What started you on the path to writing?
— In general, I have been writing since I was twelve years old. I used to write fanfiction of myself being with whatever NBA player I had a crush on or whatever singer was hot at that moment. I have a lot of Usher fanfics buried somewhere that I am terrified to dig out. I initially started writing as an escape from my abusive childhood. I didn't feel as if anyone understood me or cared about what was happening to me so I found myself getting lost in stories as a way to dream of a better life. I didn't really think I had actual talent outside of entertaining myself.

QUESTION 3. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer, and specifically in the genre of urban fiction?
—About five years ago, I attended a book club meeting in which Maureen Smith (an amazing romance author) was the guest speaker. We had read her book and I fell in love with her writing style. I remember talking to her afterwards about wanting to write and she told me that I should start jotting down my ideas and give it a chance. I did that, but I kept all of my ideas to myself because I had nowhere to share them (in a safe place) and I didn't think I was ready to start sending my work to publishers either. So, I was basically sitting on my gift. I want to write in the Urban genre because I feel like we need more books that tackle real issues that we go through. We are such a complex people and I want my stories to be accepted by all, but I specially write with women in mind.

QUESTION 4. How long have you been writing?
—I have been writing for about five years, but only two years on Wattpad.

QUESTION 5. How do you think you've evolved creatively?
— Since I started writing on Wattpad, I feel like I have grown so much creatively. I find that the instant feedback from readers and the comments help to push me while I'm writing. Readers bring up questions or make comments that point out holes in my stories or things that I need to address or make clearer. Also, I've been reading the work of other writers and find myself being so inspired by them.

QUESTION 6. Why did you choose to write in your particular field or genre? If you write more than one, how do you balance them?
— That's a funny question because I don't want to pigeon myself into just one genre, I want to try them all at some point. I started off writing fanfics on Wattpad only because I saw how popular they were and I was trying to gain an audience. I am trying to get away from that now, but I find that using some of our favorite celebrities as eye candy to get a message across has been pretty successful for me on Wattpad. On Wattpad, I've been mostly writing romance stories, but I try to tackle very serious issues within them. I try to show the reader that even though bad things happen to you, you're still lovable and you will still find your happiness. Right now, I'm focusing on fiction that centers around women and women's issues. I want every young woman to walk away from my story feeling inspired and strengthened.