The assignment

It's October and I've done pretty good just existing in school. I make it to classes and try my best to pass everything. But I hate math with a passion. I hate it and it hates me. English is my strong point though. I enjoy reading and writing to a certain extent. Natsu is in the class with me. He sits next to me and it took me a long time to adjust to him being so close. I've never had a class with him before. Every time I saw him sit in his seat I would blush.

Now I've learned to control it. At first he gave me weird looks and would roll his eyes. Now he's calmed down. He's noticed I don't try to flirt and don't bug him. I'm willing to help him if he needs it and he shows he appreciates it by giving me a smile. I love that smile. To me it's worth a million jewels.

Today. Fate would tempt us to either hate it or love it.

"Class today we will be doing a couples project. Your seat mate is your partner. You have the rest of the month to write a 50 page essay on a subject of your choosing. It must be typed and have all proper punctuation and spelling. It is due November first. You have the rest of the period to discuss it. And yes you will need to work on it outside of class so do exchange numbers and plan meet ups. Good luck!" The teacher said.

Some people groaned but I was scared. Natsu is my seat mate. So he's my partner. Oh crap.

"So I guess your my partner huh?" Natsu asks me
I froze. My heart started pounding.

Breathe girl. Breathe.

"Yeah. Seems like it." I reply shyly.

"Oh and class. This assignment is a majority of your grade. If you don't do the assignment you will fail. No amount of extra credit will bring your grade back up." The teacher says

"Oh no" me and natsu said at the same time.

He smiled at me then dropped his head on the table. I know. He must hate me. He sits up again and writes something down. He hands it to me and says "here's my number. I don't want to fail this class. Please agree to help me." He gives me a sad look.

I nod and write down my number and give it to him.

"Let's meet after school? We can talk about what we can write about." He says and I nod. "Do you ever speak?" He asks me

"rarely" I reply quietly.

"Well you need to talk more. We can't do the assignment if you don't talk" I nod and he slams his head on the table. I giggle. He looks at me and grins a little. Then the bell rings.

Lunch time. Yay. Boo. I never eat. I just people watch. Today I was surprised that Natsu came up to me. He introduced me to his friends Grey and Gajeel.

"Hey Y/N. This is my friend grey and this is Gajeel. I figured I'd introduce you to them since we have to be partners for the assignment." Natsu says. They all looked scary standing there together. I felt my face flush.

"Excuse me." I say quickly and rush to the restroom and splash water on my face.

I calmed myself down. And walked back out. Amazingly they were still standing there. I walk up to them and hear them talking.

"Man why is she so fat?" Grey said.

"I don't know man but I don't like it. People shouldn't be that way. She must be a slob." Gajeel said.

"She's cool guys but she is kinda ugly huh? I bet she'd be hot if she lost weight." Natsu said.

"Bro don't tell me you like her?!" Grey said.

"Hell no man. She's just my partner. I couldn't like someone like that!" Natsu snaps back.

I start to cry. They hear me sniffle and panic.

"Do the project alone then. I don't care if I fail I'll never help a heartless jerk like you!" I yell and run off.

I hid under the bleachers until school let out. I couldn't stop crying. Here I thought I was getting a chance and it blows up in my face just like everything else.

I check the time on my watch. 2:45pm. School lets out at 3pm. I'll wait. I'll leave for home after everyone else leaves.

3:20pm I guess I'll start leaving. I reach the front of the school and see natsu standing there. I try to sneak past him and pretend I don't see him.

"Hey!" He yells.

Shit I've been spotted. It's no surprise considering how fat you are Y/N. Oh shut up. I curse myself. I look up. Sure enough it's Natsu. He looks annoyed.

"Oh hi" I mumble.

"Hey. Look I'm sorry about lunch. I hope we can still work on the project together." He says apologetically.

That's all he wants me for. The damn project.

"Look Natsu. I don't buy your apology. I'm not helping you after what you said. Your just using me to pass." I tell him firmly.

How bows his head. I was right.

"Your right. I'm sorry. I just really need to pass. If I don't I'll get kicked out and I won't be able to run the family business. I really need help. Please? I'll do anything!" He begs me.

"Anything?" I ask

"Yes" He replies

"Be my friend. That's all I ask. Treat me with respect and actually get to know me. Oh and keep your friends from teasing me." I reply.

He looks at me in awe.

"That's it?" He asks.

"Yes" I reply.

"Ok that's easy." He says.

"Don't be so sure. I'm a fat loner and you being seen with me will surely ruin your reputation. I doubt you'll be able to last." I scoff at him.

He shrugs and grabs my wrist. "Come on let's study at your place. We can research topics to write about." I nod and lead him to my apartment.