Chapter 30

The bright midday sun made the curved blue spines of the waves impossibly shiny and pleasantly warmed the wooden deck of the Viking ship.

Fully enjoying this warmth, Olaf and Hrafn took their meal on the stern by the rudder, their backs leaning on the gunwales and their legs stretched. Hrafn's raven ate its portion of food next to its master.

"Feels good going home!" sighed Hrafn, sliding even lower to get more sun on his body.

"Hmm..." agreed his brother, chewing his bread with appetite.

Hrafn yawned and closed his eyes, silently enjoying the moment and the sensations.

"So the rune caster saw it right – you did win the war." Olaf mused.

Hrafn shrugged lazily. "I'm so glad it did happen. Can't tell you how nervous I felt about it!"

"Yeah, but it means that the second part is very likely to happen as well," he said gloomily.

Hrafn gave him an inquiring glance. "So what?"

Olaf straightened, his gaze fixed on his brother, and frowned.

"Well... aren't you... upset about it?" he muttered.

Hrafn chuckled. "Upset? About what?" he reached out to give his raven another piece of meat. "If I get it right, I'm one of the luckiest men on earth because I'm going to meet my true love!" He snickered and leaned back against the wooden board of the ship.

Olaf frowned more. "Yeah, but you're going to lose her... I'll be avenging you because of her!"

Hrafn lazily scratched the tip of his nose and stated, a mysterious smile playing at the corners of his lips, "Don't worry, I've got a plan: once I find her, I'll keep her with me for as long as I can, and then I'll act like a man and make sure she gets less suffering than me – remember, the rune caster said there was a choice to be made?"

Olaf nodded, still frowning.

"Well, that's my choice, brother," Hrafn suppressed a yawn and added, "I'll just try to get the best out of it."

Olaf was far from being convinced even as he watched Hrafn's dreamy expression. Shaking his head with obvious disapproval, he said, "Look, the rune caster said destiny can be changed. Why don't you just make sure you never meet her and live a long and happy life?"

Hrafn rolled his eyes at him. "No! ... I want to find her! I'm curious; so few people have such a chance!"

Olaf sighed. "But what if the price is too high? He said there will be a lot of suffering. What if a lot is too much to bear?"

Hrafn dismissively waved his hand. "I'll take my chances. It's my destiny, after all, and I'm fine with it."

Olaf sulked. It still seemed totally ridiculous to him.

Observing him from under his lashes, Hrafn saw it and suppressed a smile. He patted his brother's shoulder and muttered, "Now that the war's over, we can do something interesting. We can practice a lot and defeat Sveinn. Or we can come up with some new hunting methods because winter is approaching. And remember, you wanted to make a flying snake?..."

The last words made Olaf's eyes shine.

"Yes!" he whispered excitedly, but then stopped. "But we have to rule... You think we'll have time?"

Hrafn just shrugged. "Of course we'll have time! We are two to rule, so we'll act faster!"

Olaf's face eased into a blissful smile. "Good!" he drawled. Obviously, he was already looking forward to it.

"One more thing," Hrafn lifted his finger, his expression serious again. "We must keep an eye on mother. Last time she was very upset about the prophecy. We have to make sure it never happens again."

Olaf nodded seriously. "Yes! So, the flying snake..."

Thebig black raven croaked and spread its powerful wings. Strong and proud, ittook off and rose to the clear blue sky. Carried by the fresh wind, it made alarge circle above the ship, savoring the freedom and the lightness of theflight that birds are the only ones to know.

~~~The End~~~