Chapter 4

The council was held in the great hall in the center of the town. It was not yet the voting assembly. Only jarls were there, sitting in a circle.

Torgeir's uncle opened the door and stepped aside to let Turid pass. The elders of the council stood to greet her.

The woman greeted them back and took a seat among them in the circle.

Harald, the eldest presiding over the assembly, spoke first.

"Thank you, queen, for acting so soon. We do sincerely admire your strength and devotion to our people."

Turid just nodded. She knew they meant it, but she felt nothing special about her deed.

Harald went on. "Konungr Torgeir was our love and pride. He ruled wisely and died heroically. He will live forever in our hearts and songs... but now, a new chieftain must be named, for a lot of important decisions must be made. The war is not over."

Turid nodded again. She wanted to hear it all before saying anything.

Harald seemed to understand her strategy. His eyes sparkled and a light smile touched his lips, making his long mustache move up.

"As both of your sons are only ten-winters-old, we have a difficult choice. We believe your advice is necessary here, for you have been a wise and devoted queen.

"There are only two possible solutions: someone rules until your eldest son Olaf is twelve-winters-old, or we name Olaf our konungr, even though he is still too young. We believe only two people entitled to take the rule instead of your son - you or Örjan, Torgeir's brother.

"We ask for your choice and will then vote," he concluded, looking at the young woman.

Turid stared at the ground, thinking. She knew something like this was coming, yet he didn't enlighten her about the answer she should give. Of one thing she was sure - she was a poor war leader. In everyday life, she had always followed her husband, counterbalancing his energy and strength with her tenderness and sense of harmony. She feared battles and blood too much. As for Örjan, he looked much more like a peaceful farmer than a chieftain. Yet it seemed wise discussing it with him before deciding.

Then she pictured her son Olaf who was now peacefully sleeping at home. Tall, good-looking and fair-haired, he was quick and smart, and rather good in fighting, just like his brother. They looked absolutely identical; the only thing allowing their mother to tell Olaf from Hrafn was the color of their eyes. Olaf's were gray, turning nearly black when he was upset or very excited, while Hrafn's were of that rare deep emerald green that fascinated anyone who looked into them. The twins were best friends and both promised to become great warriors.

On the other hand, they were only boys, her boys, and taking from one of them two winters of quiet childhood seemed cruel.

At the same time, the future of her people was at stake.

Turid tried to imagine her son as a konungr, looking for some sort of hint, for some indication that would give her the right answer. She knew she had to be very careful, for many destinies were in her hands.

But the more she thought, the more baffled she felt. Sighing heavily, she looked up at the council participants and said what seemed the most appropriate, given the situation.

"Honored council, I do understand the urgency of the matter. However, I would like to remind you that the issue is very important, for I am deciding not only the destiny of my children, but of all our people. I do not refuse this responsibility, but I would like to think it over and to talk about it to the others concerned."