Chapter 10

Though it was unexpected, the boy reacted immediately and lifted his sword.

Sveinn instantly charged at him, and Hrafn dodged.

Sveinn advanced further, swinging his sword again and again.

Hrafn dodged those, too, and attacked in return.

Sveinn blocked, making Hrafn retreat.

Hrafn avoided another swing and met the next one with his sword.

Sveinn smirked and increased the speed.

Hrafn followed, despite the growing tiredness.

Sveinn's eyes sparkled and he changed tactics, using twisted swings unknown to the boy.

Hrafn fought as hard as he could, dodging and twisting to avoid the blows, but Sveinn's sword touched him again and again, leaving painful bruises. His opponent looked rested and pleased with the game.

Should the sword be a real one, Hrafn would be dead long ago, but as it was wooden, he decided to stand it for as long as he could. It was a question of honor for him now. He was sure Sveinn wanted proof of his worthlessness and weakness, waiting for him to give up. So Hrafn concentrated on resisting.

At some point he felt that he would not be able to take too much more and moved back. Gathering all his strength, he lunged at Sveinn, his sword at the ready.

The latter didn't expect it, but blocked the attack, and as Hrafn was too close now, threw the boy away with a hard push of his elbow.

Hrafn received it in the chest. Blinded by the sudden pain and unable to breathe, he made a shaky step backwards and fell flat on his back. The blue sky above went dark and the boy thought he was dying. But then his lungs were filled with air again, and the darkness in front of his eyes slowly dissipated.

Sveinn stood above him.

"You win..." Hrafn groaned, thinking that he had never felt more ashamed in his life.

Sveinn smiled and held out his hand. "Nice try, Konungr. Your basics are good." Unable to tell whether it was a compliment or a mockery, Hrafn seized Sveinn's outstretched hand, and the Viking pulled him to his feet.

The boy couldn't help grimacing as his body responded with pain at that sharp movement.

Sveinn noticed it. "Sorry, my hand is heavy..."

Hrafn spotted Ari, Orm and three other Vikings who stood by the fence, watching the fight. Olaf stood near them, grinning with excitement. Hrafn scowled: was he dreaming, or was his brother happy to see him defeated so shamefully? He mentally promised Olaf to repay in kind at the first occasion.

At that moment, Sveinn shook his hand, distracting him from his fuming thoughts. "Thanks for the fight. It was instructive."

He thrust Olaf's sword and shield into Hrafn's hands and added, "If you keep practicing like that, one day you might defeat me."

"Aye!" drawled the Vikings and Olaf together, clapping their hands.

Hrafn flashed them a dirty look.

"Never thought you would say that!" called one of the Vikings that Hrafn recognized as the red-haired lad in love with a certain Siv.

"Well, I did," calmly stated Sveinn. He easily jumped over the fence and looked back at Hrafn who stared at all of them as if they'd gone mad.

"By the way," said Sveinn, "Most of us thought you were a coward after your first order... Well, Konungr, you have proved me you're not."

With that he turned on his heels and walked away, leaving Hrafn even more puzzled.

Then Olaf ran toward him and thumped his shoulder. "Nice fight, brother!" he grinned sincerely.

Hrafn twisted his lips indignantly, "Are you mad?! I lost!"

His face blazing with excitement, Olaf shrugged. "You did. But he's the best with a sword. No one ever defeated him. You managed to stand for so long!"

Hrafn's jaw dropped. "Is he really?"

"Ari just told me. And Sveinn said you might do it one day, you heard him! Good job, brother!"

Hrafn wasn't listening. Letting the swords and the shields fall on the grass, he hurried to the fence and climbed over it as fast as his bruised body would allow.

"I'll be back!" he threw to Olaf who raised his brows in surprise.

~~~

As if there had been no fight at all, Sveinn was flirting with a girl from a neighboring house. Charming and confident, he did it with the same ease as fighting. It looked like his plan was working: pink-faced, the girl smiled and flashed eager glances from under her lashes.

"Sveinn!" called Hrafn, arriving at full speed and making both Sveinn and the girl jump.

Sveinn turned to face him, and the boy realized that it was not the right time for an interruption.

"Er... May I have a quick word?"

"I'll be right back," Sveinn promised the girl in a low quiet voice and stepped toward Hrafn.

"Please, be quick," he whispered urgently.

"Teach me to wield the sword!" the boy blurted out.

Usually not very expressive with emotion, Sveinn raised his brows in surprise. "Well, I've never taught anyone, you know," he said. "I'm not really the teaching kind..."

"Please!" started begging Hrafn, completely forgetting that he was a king. "You are the best, and I dream of being best, too! If only I could have a couple of lessons! I promise, I'll be a very good student!"

Sveinn sighed and threw a quick glance toward the girl. "Not now," he said curtly.

"Please! I really need it!"

"I absolutely hate teaching..."

"Please! ..."

Sveinn drew a deep breath, and then slowly blew the air out.

"All right, let's try once... I'll tell you when. Now, get lost!" he snapped.

A happy smile lit the boy's face. "Thank you! Thank you so much, Sveinn!"

Hrafn didn't feel his bruises as he ran back to tell Olaf.

"Great!" said his brother, grinning. "Will you teach me after?"

"Of course!"