Chapter 6

At sunset, the members of the council and all those who were able to come gathered in the vast clearing in front of the great hall.

Washed and dressed in a hurry, Olaf and Hrafn stood there as well. They had to run back from the rune caster's hut and didn't have time to exchange their thoughts, which made their waiting nearly unbearable. Both had a hard time staying in place, for both itched to talk it over privately. At the same time, the ceremony was too important to miss, especially given the real possibility of Olaf being proclaimed the new chieftain. So they burned with impatience.

Örjan, his wife, and his daughters stood next to them. Örjan was probably even more nervous than his nephews: he honestly feared what was about to happen. All the more, he had never liked being the center of attention. He slouched, shifting from one foot to the other, his gaze fixed upon the ground. He felt that his desire to flee was too obvious, and it made him burn with shame.

Jarls, warriors, farmers, free workers, and slaves from their town and from the neighboring villages gathered around, curious to know the name of the new konungr. Excited whispers came from all sides; all the attention was focused on their small group, making them feel oddly and unpleasantly apart.

Finally, Turid appeared, and the crowd almost instantly fell silent. The tension in the air became almost perceptible as the young woman made her way to the center of the circle. She looked tired and older, her long fair hair tied into a knot, and the corners of her lips bent downward. A few steps behind her walked the old rune caster. He wore his best embroidered blue shirt, and a belt decorated with silver and precious stones over his leather trousers.

At his sight, the twins couldn't help exchanging alarmed looks.

The old man took a place among the crowd, as if he was merely part of the curious audience and not an active participant. He greeted everybody with a nod, then glanced at the twins and suddenly winked. The boys stiffened, staring at the old man, but then Turid spoke, and they instantly forgot about the rune caster.

Turid greeted the crowd and fell silent, obviously gathering her thoughts. There was something alarming about her tense and pained expression.

Their feelings sharpened by curiosity, people around her froze suddenly aware of the fact that their destiny was being decided.

The young queen drew a deep, silent breath and people around her did the same.

"Honorable assembly," she finally began. "This very morning, I was asked to suggest the successor to my husband, Konungr Torgeir, who died defeating the enemy in a fierce battle, yet not finishing the war."

Her posture was proud and her voice was calm and clear, but the twins felt that it demanded a lot of effort from her.

"I know my suggestion will affect the future of our people and the outcome of the war. This is why I decided not to stop at my own opinion, but to talk to several people, including the rune caster."

The crowd muttered in approval - the rune caster was highly respected. No one doubted his prophecies, for all of them had come true.

Turid continued.

"The glory and prosperity of our people have always been and are my primary concern. With that, I suggest to name as our next konungr my son..."

Olaf's eyes sparkled with pride and excitement and Hrafn turned to look at him, drawing a deep breath to shout his congratulations first.

"...Hrafn," finished Turid, and though her voice remained even, it sounded rather like a groan of hidden pain.

Hrafn froze, his mouth open and his lungs so full with air that they threatened to explode. It couldn't be! He must have misheard!