Chapter 27

Ulfrich dismounted his horse, leaving it with the warriors, then gathered his shield and removed his sword from the scabbard. He strode to the bald patch of earth surrounded by the low dry bushes where the duel would take place, far enough from both armies to make sure the fight was really one on one.

Meanwhile, Hrafn did the same.

"You know what to do," he threw to Olaf. "Just make sure no one sees you."

Completely hidden under an elaborate rag disguise and surrounded by tall warriors, Olaf nodded. He couldn't talk – a thick curtain of tears blurred his view, and his voice would surely have given him away.

Hrafn hurriedly looked away, feeling too much like crying, too.

Sveinn grasped his arm. His face was paler than usual. "Konungr, my sword is lighter. Take it, if you want!"

Hrafn just shook his head. "No, thanks. I'm just not used to it." His father's sword at the ready, he walked to the place of duel.

"Stay calm and save your strength!" advised Sveinn from behind, and Hrafn desperately clung to these words.

To say he was scared was an understatement. A part of him was regretting his foolish bargain, but it was too late to turn back. The agreement was sealed. He wished that Sveinn could have given him more lessons, or that he was older or that less were at stake.

Stay calm and save your strength! he repeated inside his head. He would do his best. The plan was very simple, inspired by the rune caster's prophecy. Hrafn's part was to fight, giving time for everyone to get in place, and to die fighting, like a hero. Then Olaf was to come out and do the most dangerous job – play Hrafn's resurrection and kill Ulfrich while he would not expect it. Two young Vikings, Vali and Helgi, were to make Hrafn's body disappear by any means and as quickly as possible. Then there would be only two possible outcomes: the Foreigners would honor their oath or the Vikings would fight, as no oath was given to restrain them.

Knowing what was about to come, the raven bird uttered a heartbreaking, sorrowful croak from high above. But Hrafn didn't look up. The raven had a special task – to inform him when everyone was ready – and Hrafn had his own. His death stood by his side, and he had to make it linger. Only for a short while, then his task would be over and he would be out of the fight forever. He was named konungr to win the war, and he had to do so by any possible means. Well, it wouldn't be exactly himself who would win, but then it wouldn't really matter.

The end was so close that he could no longer tell whether he wanted it over faster, or whether he wanted it to last – just to live a bit longer, to steal a couple of heartbeats from death itself.

He had never been so much aware of everything around him – the heat, the air, the burning sun, the dry land, and yellow grass, people's stares fixed upon him, his raven flying somewhere above it all... Hrafn was about to leave it forever and it was now so frighteningly real.

Forcing his heavy feet to move, he focused on Ulfrich. It was crucial for the success of their foolish plan.

He stopped before Ulfrich who adjusted his long shield, mockingly smiling down. Hrafn barely reached his chest!

"Did you hug everyone good-bye?" said Ulfrich. Amused, he added, "Listen everyone! We are not cowards. We will honor our oath even though the foolish Viking baby-king made it so easy for us. So be it, let him play before he dies!"

"Aye!" replied the chorus of voices.

Hrafn swallowed and added in a gruff voice, "If I kill you, it will be my pleasure to ride your horse. A fair beast for a king."