Chapter 26

The Vikings left the fortress in a group with Ari, Orm, Sveinn, Kirk, and Leif riding first.

"He must swear first, before he discovers I'm the konungr!" insisted Hrafn.

Behind them, the fortress was silent. The remaining Vikings stood by the catapults observing the little group of riders through Ottar, who stood watch at the wall. They were ready to attack at the slightest sign of the Foreigners' dishonesty.

The riders stopped before the Foreign army and Orm called, "Say your vow, Foreign King, you and your possible successors!"

The king proudly straightened. He was huge, even by Viking measures. His muscles seemed unnatural and made him look trollish. He wore a mail hauberk and his long brown hair was caught in a thin ponytail, under the metal plates of his helmet. Even his horse was taller and broader than all the others, apparently a rare animal brought from afar.

Disdainful, the Foreigner spoke. Hrafn understood most of it, for he had spent time learning their language from his prisoners. Ulfrich announced his titles and swore on his supreme goddess, the goddess of Earth, that they will fight one on one, no help and no magic, and if he lost, he would return the lands he conquered from Torgeir and not attack for the next ten years.

Two other warriors repeated the same after their king, each strong and proud.

It was Hrafn's turn now. Trying to remember their phrasing, he urged his horse forward and stopped before his warriors.

"I am Konungr Hrafn, son of Torgeir the Brave," he announced. "I accept your conditions and swear by Odin, my supreme God – "

A thunderous burst of laughter from a hundred of warriors swallowed the sound of his voice. Quickly reco-vering from their surprise, Ulfrich's men shook, bending in two and pointing their fingers at the boy, while the air trembled with their deep roars.

Still Hrafn forced himself to go on, pretending he didn't notice. "– that if I lose, my people and my lands will –"

The laughter grew louder, and Hrafn stopped, omitting all the rest. It could not have been worse if every one of them had spat at him. He endured it, though his face turned red. Struggling with all his might to keep his face straight, he waited for them to calm down.

Wiping the tears of laughter, Ulfrich finally said, "Are you intending to fight me, boy? Go back to your mommy and wipe that milk from your lips!"

Another fit of laughter shook the Foreigners.

Hrafn clenched his fists so tight that his knuckles went white. "Shame on you, Foreigner!" he shouted. "I have destroyed your mighty fleet! A boy! Want to see your sailors among my slaves? They taught me your tongue!"

Ulfrich stopped laughing. He considered Hrafn and then proudly lifted his chin. "Find someone worthy for the task." he threw disdainfully. "I won't fight a child!"

Hrafn drew a deep, rasping breath. It was all or nothing now, and no turning back. "Are you afraid that I will win? You waited for many days, not daring attack the fortress with only three dozen of men inside, and now you try to avoid a fight with a boy! Aren't you a coward after that?"

This time Ulfrich's face went bright red with fury. No one laughed now.

The boy sensed the unrest of his men, whose unblinking stares bore into his back.

"Allright then, boy..." said the Foreigner. "I'll fight you one on one, as I swore.When I win, I'll tear you to pieces and throw them to my dogs. Then I'll make abig feast and burn your warriors alive! Get ready!"