Chapter 19

Though Hrafn told the Vikings what was happening, none were keen to believe it, and some of them, including Kirk, seriously doubted it. But the sight the bay offered took all of them by surprise.

Seven of the largest and finest Foreign ships advanced on the town in a wedge formation, firing arrows and stones simultaneously, and making it difficult for the town's people to respond. From their position, the Vikings could not see what was happening in the town, and loud war cries of the Foreigners echoed around, making it impossible to distinguish any other sound.

Hrafn was anxious, about to enter his first real battle and felt ice in the pit of his stomach. Their plan had been thought over very carefully, yet the difference in numbers between the foes was great. The enemy was even more terrifying up close. All of his senses much more alive than ever before, Hrafn knew exactly what was happening in the town, thanks to his raven. Observing the scene from two different views at the same time was making chaos in his head. He struggled to keep them separate.

Hrafn's ship quickly headed toward the last ship on the left, while Ari's was attacking the last ship on the right.

"Now!" Sveinn quietly ordered when they were close enough.

The Vikings shot simultaneously. The air whistled as over a hundred flaming arrows rose high, like a flight of lethal bees, and carried by the fair wind, fell over the Foreign ships.

The Foreigners yelled in pain and fear, spotting the Vikings behind them.

"Don't stop! Burn them!" shouted Hrafn, loosening another burning arrow. The oarsmen stopped rowing and joined the archers. They didn't need to advance further. They had to draw the Foreign ships out of the battle.

The fair wind acted as their ally, spreading the fire. But it was just the beginning. The second to last Foreign ships quickly turned and joined the battle. Their arrows and spears fell on both Viking ships, too.

The Vikings were expecting it – half of the crew instantly focused on the new enemy, replying with fire arrows. They had to be quick. It was their only chance to win. They shoot arrows as fast as they could, aiming for the ship parts as much as for the people. When there were no more arrows left, stones and spears replaced them.

So far, the plan was working: the two last ships of the wedge were badly burning.

The fire was spreading on the second to last ships, too. Panic-stricken, the Foreigners struggled in vain to extinguish it. Even though they were partially succeeding, it was clear that with so much wind sooner or later their efforts would be doomed. Nonetheless they kept fighting, and the Vikings had to form a shield wall to protect themselves.

The warning came from the raven – the Foreign ships that formed the top of the wedge changed their tactics, too. Two of them were now heading toward Ari. If the burning ship that Ari's crew was fighting would join them and turn, Ari's ship would be doomed.

"They don't see it," the bird explained, "it's a trap."

Hrafn glanced around. He didn't know what to do.

"Watch out!" Sveinn pulled him away just in time to avoid a deadly spear. It scratched the boy's arm, tearing the fabric of his sleeve.

Hrafn's mind didn't really register it yet.

"Ari's in trouble," he blurted out. "The Foreigners want to trap them between two ships."

Sveinn heard. His shield at the ready, he stood up and looked around.

Hrafn threw another stone.

"Can we help them?" he asked.

Sveinn crouched, stopping an arrow with his shield.