Chapter 5

Just like her dead husband, Turid believed that the future was not meant to be known in advance. She lived day by day, facing whatever was to come and listening to her intuition. However, this time she was lost and confused, and her intuition fell silent at the thought that she was to determine the future of several towns.

The decision to see the rune caster was not an easy one. She felt guilty, she felt like she was cheating, and several times she nearly turned back.

When she finally knocked at the door of the rune caster's hut, her heart was heavy.

The rune caster greeted her warmly, and politely offered her a cup of rich-smelling herbal tea.

He was a tall, bony man with long, white hair and beard. His face was long and thin, and so were his delicate white fingers. Despite his isolated way of living, he was known for his constant good mood and his love of a good jest. He always wore beautifully colored clothes, and many bright, colorful cushions decorated his simple hut.

With sincere and touching care, the old man gathered a pile of cushions on the floor by the fireplace for Turid and made sure she was comfortable. Then he sat on the floor in front of her and drank his tea in silence, smiling comfortingly and not asking her anything.

Inhaling the aroma of her herbal tea, Turid did not speak either. She was surprised but grateful for his hospitality, and relaxed a bit.

She slowly finished her tea and finally spoke. "Forgive me, ellri*, for bothering you. I have an important decision to make and I feel I am lost..."

The rune caster slightly nodded, encouraging her. His amber eyes shone with attention.

Turid drew a deep breath, and went on. "As you probably know, my husband is dead, but the war is not over. The Foreign king is already gathering his army to invade more of our lands. We need a konungr to lead our people in this war and to grant us unity and prosperity after. The council is waiting for my opinion, but I'm not sure any of us is good enough."

The old man took a sip of tea and put his cup away. "It will be my pleasure to help you, even though I see you don't feel good about what you are asking."

Turid blushed under his kind but penetrating gaze.

"I will cast the runes for you and will tell you what the gods advise you to do..."

He stood and retrieved his small leather bag with runes from a wooden trunk.

Back to his seat in front of the young woman, he opened it and carefully checked every rune stone. Then he put them back into the bag, closed his eyes, and fell silent. He concentrated his thoughts on Turid's problem.

To Turid, it all seemed incredible. With a mixture of dull worry and childish curiosity, she observed the old man, not suspecting that her sons held their breath, pressing their ears to the door from outside.

The rune caster shook the bag, making the runes click and jump inside, and muttering to himself. Then he turned it upside down and emptied it on the floor in front of him. He thoughtfully studied the rectangular stones, then spoke. "Your eldest son and a regent received the same number of votes. That's why the council left the final decision for you."

Turid nodded.

"You can't resolve yourself to rule because you are afraid of the war. You have lost family in battle and you fear that you will not be able to send someone else to death."

The young woman's face turned bright red. She was suddenly frightened of this strange old man who revealed so easily her deepest and most shameful secrets.