Chapter 29

Hrafn's next challenge was to walk back. He expected his knees to buckle any moment and was very much relieved when, after he made a couple of shaky steps, the Vikings finally surrounded him.

"They will honor their oath," Hrafn told them. He wanted to tell them the rest, but his voice was completely covered by happy exclamations and congratulations. Familiar bearded faces beamed at him from all sides, shining with pride and relief.

"Good fight!" congratulated Ari.

"You did it!"

"Well done!" added Orm.

"It's just luck!" stammered Hrafn, embarrassed by that many compliments.

"Luck often comes to those who are brave," retorted Sveinn.

Finally, Olaf was there too. Thick tears poured down his cheeks, but he was beaming. "You... you..." he mumbled, unable to gather his thoughts, nor to find his voice.

Hrafn gave him a weak smile. He had one very urgent problem to solve.

"Catch me before I fall," he mouthed. Olaf's gray eyes darkened but he reacted quickly. He stepped on Hrafn's good side and passed his arm around his brother's waist. Hrafn sighed and thankfully leaned on him.

Kirk made his way to the boys and to everyone's amazement, bowed deeply. "Sorry for doubting you, Konungr..." he mumbled, his face pink. "You were... brilliant!"

Hrafn smiled at him. "Thanks, Kirk... I appreciate it."

Back in the fortress, Sveinn took care of Hrafn's shoulder, while Jari brought him some food and water. It had its effect instantly – the dizziness disappeared, leaving only dull pain and heavy weakness in his whole body.

"You know, Konungr," said Sveinn, cleaning the deep cut. "I guess I'll have to teach you from now on. You have my word."

A happy grin lit the boy's scratched and dirty face. Sveinn only raised an eyebrow. "When your arm is healed, of course."

Hrafn wanted to thank him, but Olaf broke into the room, a jar of water in his hands. "I found it!" he shouted excitedly. "I found the secret of the fortress!"

Everyone turned to look at him.

Showing all of his teeth in a happy smile, Olaf strode toward the table and put the jar on it.

"Water!" he said simply. "The fortress is their main water source!"