Scene V

Scene V- INT. MAGGIE’S ROOM - NOON
MAGGIE is in her room, watching some strange indy netflix show dubbed with spanish subtitles on her laptop resting on her chest. She’s munching away at a bag of hot cheetos and drinking orange juice when her phone lights up with Jonas’ contact name. She looks down at her phone casually before jolting up in bed, wiping away the cheeto dust from her face before answering.

MAGGIE
(Her voice lifts an octave)
Hey!

JONAS
Hey, so are you even at your house right now?

MAGGIE
Yeah, why?

JONAS
Cause I’ve been knocking for like ten minutes now. I saw a car here, but didn’t know if it was yours.

MAGGIE
Shit, yeah, um, I’ll be down in a second.

Maggie jumps up from her bed, ignoring the fact that she’s only in a sports bra and pajama pants that have thomas the train all over them. She continues to talk gibberish as she walks downstairs and to the door, muttering apologies. She stubs her toe in the process, making a soft grunt.

JONAS
Don’t kill yourself getting here.

MAGGIE
I’m not that clumsy, I promise.

JONAS
Are you sure about that?

MAGGIE
Shush.

She reaches the door and opens it with a grin. Jonas is dressed in a tank top with swim trunks on already and it hits her as to why he’s here.

MAGGIE
Fuck, I totally forgot. I’ll get my swimsuit on in like 2 minutes, sorry.

JONAS
Don’t be, it’s ok.

Maggie starts walking back to her room as Jonas follows. He closely examines the room around him, taking in each detail in the quirky beach themed house.

MAGGIE
So, who’s going with us? You said you had friends coming.

JONAS
Yup, it’s Alex, my friend Gabriel Nelson and Thomas Peters.

MAGGIE
Tom?

JONAS
Yeah… do you have a problem with him?

MAGGIE
It’s just, that’s my brother.

JONAS
Oh?

MAGGIE
And, I don’t want him to know I was at the party last night, but I don’t know how I would explain how I met you then.

JONAS
Trish.

MAGGIE
What about her?

JONAS
It’s not a total lie, we did meet through Trish, just say it was during the school year or something. I did sit at your table during lunch every once in a while.

MAGGIE
I never noticed… Sorry.

JONAS
Don’t be. Also, pet peeve of mine, don’t say sorry unless you have something to actually apologize for.

MAGGIE
I think my last three ‘sorry’s were pretty justifiable.

JONAS
Correct.

MAGGIE
But I’m not going to promise anything…
(She grins widely before continuing)
Sorry.

He rolls his eyes at her and sighs.

JONAS
Come on, the boys are waiting for us.

MAGGIE
Right, so, one piece or bikini?

JONAS
One piece.

Maggie nods and walks back into her room, closing her door.