Hopelessly Hopeful

I'd give anything to be the hopeless romantic, the one who believes in love above all else. The one that just knows love and admiration will always be the one to save the day. But I can't. I've seen heartbreak in physical form. I've read it cover to cover, bound by leather. I've stained the deceit filled pages with salty rivers too weighted to stay in between my eyelashes. I've noticed the lasting effects, like side effects listed on the back of prescription pill bottles. The way "love" brings up the optimists, the infatuated individuals, only to send them plummeting back down into the soil of disbelief. I'd give anything to be a hopeless romantic, to be certain that love will rescue me from reality one day, but I never will be, because love simply does not exist, and heartbreak is something I'd prefer not to overdose on.

•••
A/N: title is somewhat a reference to the fall out boy song, "I've got a dark alley and a bad idea that says you should shut your mouth" (long title, curse you Pete Wentz)

Oh yeah. I've been on Wattpad for over a year, and this is officially the 150th poem I've published so.... yay thank you for everything

Anyway, hope you loves are doing ok. I'm not ready for summer to end.