Chapter Fourteen

Author's Note: 02/07/14 - 03/07/14

~~~~~~~~~

"Well, speak of the devil.." Lucy said.

"Hey, Nat-"

"I-I gotta g-go," Natsu said then ran out of the apartment.

I frowned, but quickly replaced it with a fake smile. 'What's with him lately?' Caroline came up to me and tugged at the hem of my tank top. "Hmm?" I hummed, looking down at her.

"Wh-Why did Natsu-k-kun g-go?" she asked tilting her head in a cute way.

I sighed then said, "I don't know why. Apparently it's to 'keep me safe'."

I heard Loke gasp from the lounge. I turned my head towards him. "What?" I questioned.

"Do you know what season it is?"

"Errm...Summer...right?"

Loke gasped again and motioned Lucy to come over to him. She did as told and Loke started whispering stuff. She gasped, wide-eyed. "What?!" she shrieked. Loke nodded.

I approached them with a confused look. "What?" I asked, my head tilting to the side - just like Caroline.

"Errm..." Lucy mumbled.

"Errm...what?"

"Never mind. Let's just eat."

"You better tell me what's going on," I said. "...But fine. Let's eat. I'm hungry."

We all went to the dinner table and started eating Lucy's yummy cooking. "This is delicious!" I said after swallowing my food. We all finished after 30 minutes. I did the dishes while Lucy, Loke and Caroline were reading books and playing games. By the time I finished, it was already 7:55pm. I put the last plate onto the drying rack.

I walked over to the others - who were playing 'Caroline says'. It was quite funny. Loke was in a ballerina-like position and Lucy was in a monkey pose with her cheeks puffed out. I giggled. "Hey, guys! Can I join in?"

"Sure!" Caroline cheered.

"Yeah! We just started!" Lucy said.

I smiled and stood in front of Caroline.

"Caroline says...pretend to be a ship captain!"

I pretended to steer, Lucy pretended to be ordering people and Loke pretended to be digging treasure. "This game is making Caroline share her voice more and gain some confidence," I whispered to Lu-chan and Lo-kun. "Yeah. You're right," Lucy whispered back. Loke nodded. We continued playing different games until 9pm.

"Alright, Caroline, we have to sleep now," Lucy said. "Tomorrow we'll prepare your stuff for the vacation to the resort."

"Wh-What resort?" she asked - still stuttering. 'So much for "gaining more confidence"...'

"We'll be leaving in 5 days and staying at the resort for 1-2 weeks."

"Oh. O-Okay."

I led Caroline to the bathroom and gave her a spare toothbrush. She brushed her teeth and washed her face. I did the same. "You can take a shower tomorrow," I said. She smiled and nodded. Then I led her to the couch and tucked her in. "Nighty-Night, Caroline," I whispered, moving strands of her long blackish-blue hair out of her face.

"G-Good N-Night, (Y-Y/N)-ch-chan."

I started walking off, but Caroline stopped me. "Ple-lease sing me a s-song."

"Okay."  I smiled at her then started singing a lullaby from Anastasia.

"Bye, my beautiful princess," I heard Loke say to Lu-chan.

"Bye, my handsome prince," she replied.

Then I heard Loke leave and Lucy walked over to me. "Good singing," Lucy smiled.

"Thanks," I replied.

"I'll turn off the light. You go to sleep."

"Thanks, Lu-chan. Just wait..."

I turned on the lamp beside Caroline then went to my bedroom doorway. I turned on my light there. "You can turn the light off now. Nighty-Night!"

"Night!" Lucy responded then the light turned off.

I turned on my lamp, turned off the lights in my room then climbed into bed. The bed felt cold and lonely. 'Where is he?' I asked myself. 'He probably forgot. What did he mean by me being 'safe'.' I stayed up for a few minutes - thinking - then let sleep take over.

(A/N: it's pretty obvious why Natsu is acting like that and what season it is *wink wink*.)