Without wasting a second, Mari, our personal Energizer Bunny, brought out the Twister mat and spinner. Don called me a cheater because I was essentially a contortionist thanks to ballet. At that, Mari said Anna was a cheater then too, because she was a dancer. Eve chimed in that, in the same vein, she cheated because of her wrestling background. Then the four of us ganged up on him, saying he was a swimmer and therefore also a cheater. He surrendered once Eve tackled him.

    Mari shoved us outside to splash about in the puddles. We chased each other, screaming and laughing until we couldn't breathe.

    When we returned from the neighborhood playground, it was dinnertime. I dragged Dad out of his home office, together we ate a delicious dinner (arguably, Mom's greatest asset was her cooking ability), and then we opened presents.

    Mari squealed when I opened the charm bracelet Donovan bought for me, and Mom clapped upon seeing the gift card to a dance supply store that she and Dad gave me. Annalyse got me the latest Fall Out Boy album, and I tackled her in a hug. Evette had crocheted a hat for me, and Mari had pressed flowers and compiled photos from our senior year to add to my scrapbook.

    Mom brought out the cake afterward: a strawberry genoise cake with homemade vanilla frosting. We applauded her on her impeccable baking sills before all of us headed to the family room for a game of charades.

    As Anna put in a movie, Mom whispered, "We'll discuss the invite tomorrow. Goodnight, Bell, honey."

    "Night, kiddos," Dad said with a wave.

    When the movie ended, it was well past midnight. No one was available for a sleepover, so we decided to depart.

    Donny grabbed my hands, the last to leave. Outside, in the humid chill, he sucked in a deep breath and looked everywhere but at me. It sent butterflies spiraling in my stomach, and I braced for impact.

    "Okay. Listen. You're leaving for Washington in a few months. And I know I'll regret it if I don't say something now. Bell — Belline." He gave a hard swallow.

    I stepped back. "Donovan."

    "Hear me out, okay?"

    I shook my head. "I think I already know what you're going to say. And — Don, you said it already. I'm leaving soon. I don't think it'd be a good idea to—"

    "Think about it at least?" His big brown eyes and wavy chestnut hair ruffling in the breeze made it difficult to deny him anything.

    "Okay."

    With that, he left.

    I considered cleaning up our mess, but it was almost one a.m. and I was exhausted. So I flopped into bed.

    My mind reeled. I had known about Donovan's crush for the past several months. And I had known that nothing could ever come of it. He was my precious childhood friend — and the sentiment didn't exceed that.

    My gaze landed on the repurpose pile shrouded in shadows. Mom had gotten ahold of a copy of the invite somehow. And knowing her, she'd try to convince me to go.

    I fell asleep with the peace of mind that at least my dad would take my side.

    Except, just as the invite and the storm had subverted the usual, so too would my dad: he wouldn't take my side.