Preference: Dema | Twenty One Pilots

singtothesky_ helped!

I wrote this before the music videos came out, so it's a little inaccurate, but I tried.

Thanks to @fanfictionST for all the votes!

Summary: You live in Dema and you want out. You've just found someone to help you.

QOTP: Jumpsuit or Niners?

Word Count: 2480

Josh -
The first thing you see is his eyes.

Obviously, you saw him from a distance - the dark green hoodie with the hood pulled up over his head and the yellow mask covering his face from the nose down.

His eyes are the only part of him you can see when you get closer.

And you can't look away from them.

"Are you alright?" he asks. You don't hear him, so he pulls his mask down and repeats himself. "Are you alright?"

"Y-Yeah. I guess," you reply, involuntarily blushing. He's really cute.

He smiles. "You made it."

You can't help but smile, too, despite the exhaustion and the scrapes on your knees you got from tripping while running from the watchers. "Yeah."

You escaped Dema - you and two others - with the help of the Banditos.

"What's your name?" he asks.

"Y/N."

"I'm Josh."

The two others you escaped with are having similar conversations with other Banditos.

"Welcome to Trench," Josh says, gesturing behind him at the canvas tents, lit torches, and people milling about. "We'll have to find you and your friends a vacant tent. Maybe set up a new one..."

"I don't care where I sleep," you say, looking around, "as long as it's not in Dema."

"Food's pretty tight, too."

"Anywhere is better than Dema, Josh. Anywhere."

Before he can respond, your friends you escaped with walk over to you, excited to be free. You match their excitement, and Josh can't help but smile.

////

"Hungry?" Josh asks, amused. You're sitting next to him at the fire lit earlier after sunset, eating dinner. You were starving, so you threw decency out the window and started eating as fast as humanly possible.

Luckily, Josh doesn't find it disgusting. He found it more cute than anything, despite the broth dripping down your chin.

"Running from Dema and Bishops all day tends to make people hungry," you reply, surprisingly taking a break from shoveling food in your mouth.

"Well, you're not wrong."

It's so weird; he doesn't know what to say to you. He doesn't wanna sound stupid, so much so that's he's overthinking everything just trying to make conversation. He's never done that before. Not this bad.

He doesn't know that you're thinking the same thing.

"So... whose region did you live in?" he asks, then instantly regrets it. You probably want to talk about anything other than Dema right now.

"Nico." He grimaces, but says nothing for a while, trying to think of something to say. You speak first. "Do you have any extra clothes? I've been wanting to change since we got here."