I Can't | Dean Winchester

Summary: You get kidnapped by a dragon... and then Duke happens.

QOTP: Favorite monster?

Word Count: 2606

"I'm thinking standard werewolf," Sam says from his spot across the table in your motel room. "And there's no way it's not Gary."

Dean, sitting to your left, is eating a bacon cheeseburger from some fast food place Sam got your dinner from. He answers with his mouth full, and you think he says something like, "Great. Let's go gank this sucker," but you're not sure. Sam grimaces as you laugh.

Dean swallows and stands, already heading out to the car. You follow, Sam leaving behind you.

You've been hunting with the Winchesters for about five years, and you hunted on your own for even longer.

Point is, you've been hunting for a while.

So, the werewolf hunt is easy - you're driving back to the bunker the very next day.

On the drive home, you keep thinking about the hunt. You barely did anything, just let Sam and Dean handle it. At least until the werewolf tackled you. Dean killed it immediately.

You go on a ghost hunt a few days later; you and Sam fight off the ghost with iron bars while Dean burns the bones. No biggie, right?

But you freeze. The second you see that ghost, you're unable to move. Sam takes care of it, but he asks you if you're okay afterwards. And you tell him you're fine.

You lie right through your teeth.

It's the more complicated hunts - the more complicated monsters - that get you the most. You're at the end of your rope.

And then, you run into a dragon.

You, specifically.

////

"It's been an hour, Sam," Dean suddenly says. Both men are on their laptops, doing research.

"What?" Sam asks.

"Y/N has been gone for an hour," Dean explains.

Sam cocks an eyebrow. "That's not that long, considering she went out to get food." Dean bites his lip, getting more worried by the second. Sam laughs. "Are you ever gonna admit that you like her?"

Dean starts, then looks at Sam incredulously. "What? I don't like her. You're crazy."

Sam snorts. "Uh huh."

"I don't!"

"Sure."

Dean huffs. "I don't, Sam."

Sam shakes his head. "Whatever you say."

////

Fifteen minutes later, Dean's started to get real worried.  "Should we go look for her?"

"How?" Sam asks. "She took the car - which is another reason why it's obvious that you like her."

Dean ignores the last part. "We should go look for Baby."

"You're even calling her-"

"I'm serious, Sam."

"Okay," Sam says, closing his laptop. "Okay. Let's go."

////

"Sam, there's Baby," Dean says after a half hour of searching on foot.

They see there's food in the car - it's cold now - and the keys are in the ignition. They start asking around about you. Nothing. Dean's freaking out.