Chapter 23

•This story takes scenes from the Harry Potter series. I want to make it clear that I don't own those scenes. That's owned by
J.K. Rowling. Thank you•

~Scarlett~

I didn't really pay attention to any of the conversation in the Great Hall.

People were conversing happily, catching up with their friends. Forks and knives scraped against plates as people eagerly ate away the huge feast that had been prepared. The Professors up at the front were smiling brightly at the students, making small talk with their neighbors. I noticed all of these things, but yet I couldn't even focus on the conversation in front of me.

Every time I tried to participate it seemed they were speaking a foreign language. I couldn't focus on the voices around me because there were so many voices buzzing in my head.

Fred'll never talk to me again. Why would he? He probably just kissed me because he felt bad for me.

Yeah. That was it.

"Scar?" Alicia's voice brought me back into reality. "Did you hear me?"

I sat up a little, clearing my throat awkwardly. "Uh, no, what was it you said?"

Alicia raised an eyebrow at me skeptically but shrugged it off, laughing at my obliviousness. "We were talking about what's going on this year. Everyone's been talking about something big happening. Any guesses?"

"Erm, no, not really," I replied, shrinking back into my seat.

George shot me a look of sympathy, nudging me under the table with his foot.

"So!" Dumbledore's voice rang around the hall, drawing everyone's attention to him. "Now that we are all fed and watered, I must once more ask for your attention, while I give out a few notices."

"I guess we're about to find out," Lee pointed out.

"Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me to tell you that the list of objects forbidden inside the castle has this year been extended to include Screaming
Yo-yos, Fanged Frisbees, and Ever-Bashing Boomerangs. The full list comprises some four hundred and thirty-seven items, I believe, and can be viewed in Mr. Filch's office, if anybody would like to check it." Dumbledore continued, his eyes twinkling in amusement behind his half moon spectacles. "As ever, I would like to remind you all that the forest on the grounds is out-of-bounds to students, as is the village of Hogsmeade to all below third year."

I grumbled slightly, just wanting to get to my dorm and sleep. I've listened to this speech five times before. I'm not going to start following the rules just because I'm having to listen to them for a sixth time.

"It is also my painful duty to inform you that the Inter-House Quidditch Cup will not take place this year."

I winced as people shouted in protest. "What do you mean?! You can't cancel Quidditch!"

"This is due to an event that will be starting in October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teachers' time and energy – but I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts–"
But at that moment, there was a deafening rumble of thunder and the doors of the Great Hall banged open.