Chapter 17

Matt's POV

When we separated to go to my locker, Lesley stopped me in the middle of the hallway.

"Matt, we have to talk." Lesley said.

"Yeah? What's up?" I asked.

"Have you been smoking?" She asked me.

Oh shit.

"No. Why would you think that?" I asked.

"I found a cigarette pack in your room." She said.

"You've been going through my stuff?" I said.

"You lied to me?!" She freaked.

"No! Okay. I'd never lie to you. That pack...isn't mine." I had to lie.

I couldn't tell her about my family. Not yet.

"Then whose is it?" She asked me.

"Uh, Taylor. It's Taylor's pack. He was over my house and he left it there. I'm sorry you had to see that." I sighed.

"Okay. I'll see you soon. I have to go to my locker." She smiled.

"I'll see you soon." I kissed her cheek.

I have no idea what I got myself into.

•••

Hayes's POV

It was my free period, which means I can basically do whatever I want.

I went to the library, and was planning to take a nap when Matt slammed his books on the table and woke me up.

"Dude!" I yelled.

"Sorry. Hey, do you remember when I had to spy on Juliet and Aaron on their first date and everyone found out besides Aaron and I told you that you owe me big?" He asked, all in one breath.

"Yeah..?" I said, grabbing a water bottle from my backpack.

"Alright now, can you do me a favor?" He asked.

"What?" I rolled my eyes.

"Lesley found a pack of cigarettes in my room."

I spat out my water.

"No way." I said.

"Yeah, and she thought I was smoking it. Then I told her it was Taylor's and I'M NOT PREPARED TO TELL HER ABOUT MY FAMILY." He freaked.

"Alright. Alright. I think you should tell her the truth." I said.

"Yeah, but where has that gotten us in life?" He rolled his eyes.

"So you expect me to lie to your girlfriend, and if Juliet asks me I have to lie to her too?" I asked.

"No! You don't have to lie to her." He said.

"What do you want me to do? Ask Taylor if he'll pretend to ask for his pack back when you and I both know that he hasn't smoked a cigarette in months?" I said.

"Yeah! Please do it." Matt pleaded.

"Okay. I'll do it." I gave in. Matt has done a lot for me, it's the least I could do.

"Thanks bro." He got up, patted me on the back, and left.

•••

Juliet's POV

I was walking to photography when I got stopped by Carter in the hallway.

"Oh hey! What's up?" I said.