nineteen

The following weeks continued consistently normal without much change. Matt and I saw each other almost everyday whether at school or hanging out on the weekend. If we did see each other, we would at least be texting and calling each other.

Three weeks after Merlyn's birthday, on a Wednesday, I returned home from school to see Mum on the phone with Dad having his arm around grandma, his MacBook open on the coffee table.

I was immediately concerned. Of course I would be. The moment I entered, I ditched my bag on the floor and sat right next to grandma, not saying anything.

"We'll be there by tomorrow, Miles is organising transport as we speak. We'll be flying tonight and we'll come back to yours to get some rest before our appointment. As long as there is a bed for Katherine, Miles and I can sleep on the couch and if we have to, we'll find an airbnb... Margot can stay here...Yeah, she'll be fine, look, she just got back from school. I call you asap...Okay...Yep... love you, bye,"

"What's wrong?" I immediately asked the moment Mom hung up.

"We got some results from these tests grandma did and she needs to go to a specialist," Mom explained calmly.

"But I'll be fine," Grandma placed her warm, soft hand on my back, keeping me calm. She knew I would we worried.

"We're going to New York tonight, the plane leaves at one. There's a specialist there that we've got an appointment. They're really good so we need to take the opportunity we have," Dad added.

"So how long will you be gone? Do you need me to drive you to the airport?" I began on a tangent.

"We don't know yet, but if everything goes well, it should be less than a week," Mom said, reaching across to put a hand on my knee.

"So I'll be staying here?"

"If that's okay. Auntie Florence come over once or twice and you can always call her. Otherwise, don't worry about having friends over, as long you don't mess up the house," Dad explained, reading up on the plane tickets he had just bought.

"We understand that you'll get a little crazy alone." Mom assured.

"So, you need help to get ready?" I stood up, helping grandma up.

"Could you help me pack, Darling?" Grandma asked, taking me to her bedroom with her hand on my back.

Grandma's room was beautifully clean and decorated with photos of family. On her dresser was an old school portrait of myself at age ten as well as photos of me and my cousins, Dad when he was young with his sister as well as a particularly nice portrait of grandpa from World War Two.

Taking a small suitcase from the closet, we went through everything grandma needed while also getting to spend time with one another.

"So who is the boy that's always over and takes you out?" Grandma asked randomly, folding the clothes I gave her to put in the suitcase.

"Oh, that's Matt," I told her. "He's my boyfriend."

"He seems nice," Grandma commented as I gave her blouse to fold. "What is he like?"

"He's really sweet, kind and affectionate,"

"Does he like music?"

"Yeah, he has a band and does his own solo stuff,"

"What does Miles think?" Grandma referred to what Dad thought about Matt and his music.

"He likes Matt's group, I think he wants to hook them up with a label or something,"

"So he really likes them,"

"I would hope,"

Once I packed with grandma, we took her stuff out to the living room where my parents were both sitting and discussing the plan for what was happening.

Sitting down with them, we discussed what was happening and grandma took out from frozen bolognese and warm meals so I could eat some real food while they're away.

"So you're sure you'll be okay with us away?" Mum asked, concerned. "We're really sorry that we're leaving so abruptly. You know that you can call Florence whenever you need it,"

"No, I'll be absolutely fine," I assured Mum, giving her a warm hug .

"Have Matt stay over, have Bridget and Jaden over, it'll be good to have friends over," Mom told me, rubbing my back.

"Mom, we need to prioritise grandma right now, I understand you need to go,"

a/n: 

What are y'all thoughts on this book? I think I might do a Q&A at the end of next chapter, so if you see this, comment some questions!

also 1997 DIANE  is the bomb.com