seven

sunday, 10:32am

unknown number:
hi, haven't heard from you, it's matt
are you free today?

me:
yeah i'm free

matt champion:
you want to skate?

me:
sure, meet you in an hour?

matt champion:
ok

Getting out of bed, I went straight downstairs, making myself a cup of coffee. Returning upstairs, I began to get nervous. I should dress casual and most of all practical, but I still wanted to look good.
Wearing a pair of black wide tech pants and red long sleeved ribbed top that was cropped just above the top of the pant.
Sitting on the floor by my mirror, I contemplated putting on makeup and quickly decided so since I had been up until 3am last night and I looked like that too.

By 11:30 I hadn't left home yet and in an embarrassed fluster, I ran downstairs telling my mum  I was just going skating before getting into my car, speeding to the skate park. Parking on the street, getting my skateboard from the front seat before walking into the park.

Standing at the entrance, the park was filled with kids on little razor scooters and penny boards. Looking around, I found Matt moments after he had already found me. Approaching me he smiled.

"This doesn't look good," I told him without greeting him as soon as he was in ears length. "Is there anywhere else we can go,"

"There's this place kind of out of town, but we would need to drive and I walked here," Matt nodded.

"I drove here, we can go," I told him, tucking my board under my arm"Come on,".

"Promise you're not taking me somewhere so you can kill me," I asked as we drove to the other destination, making Matt chuckle.

"I don't think I would ever be able to," Matt said sincerely.

"Do you want to chose music?" I asked, unlocking my phone, changing the subject from my failed joke.

"Uh, sure," Matt took my phone, putting on Pink Matter by Frank Ocean.

Quietly, we drove along but we were comfortable. I didn't feel a need for us to talk, but I wanted to. I wanted to talk to him, know about him.

"How has your weekend been?" I asked him as we stopped at a set of lights.

"Uneventful." He shrugged, watching me as I drove. "I stayed home, worked on some music,"

"Solo music?"

"Yeah," He nodded, leaning on the window of the car. "I try to when I get the time, but I'm often working with the group

"Can you show me it?"

"I don't know, maybe another time?" Matt looked down to his lap.

"Okay, at least thats a reason for me to see you again," Was I flirting? It just came out naturally. I barely even thought twice.

Matt led me onto a freeway and in the distance, I could see a Starbucks.

"Hey Matt?" I asked. "Do you mind if we have a quick coffee pit stop. There's a Starbucks right up there,"

"Sure," he shrugged.

"I'm sorry, this has been a bit of a fail," I said, referencing to how the skate park was full

"No it hasn't" Matt stopped me. "I like the place we're going to more anyway,"

"I'll take your word," I smiled, turning into the Starbucks drive through, ordering. "Do you want anything?"

"Black coffee please," Matt told me. Ordering two, I rolled up to the next window

Paying then picking up the coffee, we were back on the road and according to Matt we were only five minutes away.

"By the way, I'm sorry I was late," I brought up as I turned of the freeway.

"It's fine, I really didn't mind" Mat assured as the road began to thin, and the asphalt thinning.

"Matt are you sure this is the way?" I asked, frowning.

"Yeah, just turn up here," Matt pointed to a turn off that looked like it was going on to private property.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure."

Turning, I drove into the property and Matt told me to park up on the grass. It had become a warm sunny day and now it was great day to go outside and skate.

Getting out of the car, our skateboard boards under our arms, we walked along the road and walked through an opening in between some trees.

"This used to be a summer camp," Matt told me, as we walked around. There were two small buildings that must have been cabins then there were multiple basketballs with ramps and blocks surrounding. "this guy, Kev, he bought it, but he's currently away,"

"How do you know about it?" I asked, admiring the beauty of the woodland around us.

"Ameer once took me here, he knows Kev" Matt told me, "he hasn't really come back with me since, but I come here now and then because its always empty."

"Its really beautiful," I said, looking around, putting my board down, getting on. "Thanks for bringing me,"